Olsen names final Danish squad for World CupMay 28th, 2010 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
Copenhagen, May 28 (DPA) Danish coach Morten Olsen Friday dropped four players from his provisional roster hours before his 23-strong World Cup squad were set to fly out to South Africa.
Olsen told reporters that his job was to select the best squad for the World Cup and was confident he had done so, but added that dropping the players “was one of the toughest decisions he had made.”
Goalkeeper Kim Christensen of IFK Goteborg, Utrecht’s all-round player Michael Silberbauer and forwards Mikkel Thygesen of Midtjylland and Morten Rasmussen of Celtic were off the roster.
The selection was announced the day after Denmark defeated Senegal 2-0 in a friendly at Aalborg.
Palermo defender Simon Kjaer, 21, who was stretchered off from the pitch in the 82nd minute, was in the final squad but did not take part in Friday’s final training session in Denmark.
Kjaer was to undergo tests during the coming week to determine what sort of injury he had. Initial results suggested he had hurt a ligament on the inside of his right knee.
Other players recovering from injuries are Stoke City goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen and Arsenal’s Nicklas Bendtner, and Olsen conceded he was “concerned” over the injury situation.
Senegal was selected as an opponent since their style of football is similar to that of Cameroon, which Denmark faces along with powerhouse Holland and Japan in the initial group matches at the World Cup.
The squad: Jesper Christiansen (FC Copenhagen), Stephan Andersen (Brondby IF), Thomas Sorensen (Stoke City), Daniel Agger (Liverpool), Lars Jacobsen (Blackburn Rovers), Patrick Mtiliga (Malaga), Per Kroldrup (Fiorentina), Simon Poulsen (AZ Alkmaar), Simon Kjaer (Palermo), William Jorgensen (FC Copenhagen), Christian Poulsen (Juventus), Christian D Eriksen (Ajax), Daniel Jensen (Werder Bremen), Jakob Poulsen (Arhus), Mikkel Beckmann (Randers), Thomas Enevoldsen
(Groningen), Thomas Kahlenberg (Wolfsburg), Dennis Rommedahl (Ajax), Jesper Gronkjaer (FC Copenhagen), Jon Dahl Tomasson (Feyenoord), Martin Jorgensen (Arhus), Nicklas Bendtner (Arsenal), Soren Larsen (Duisburg).
- Euro 2012: Memory of 1992 motivates Denmark - Jun 01, 2012
- Star striker Bendtner doubtful for Danish opener - Jun 11, 2010
- Danish victory over Cameroon puts Dutch through (Lead) - Jun 20, 2010
- Denmark need top health in tough group (Group E profile) - May 30, 2010
- Netherlands make winning start against Danes (Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Euro 2012: Danish footballers banned from using social media - Apr 25, 2012
- Danish coach Olsen extends contract through 2012 - Jan 08, 2010
- Denmark defeat Sweden 2-0 in football friendly - Nov 12, 2011
- Euro 2012: Coach Olsen laments 'unlucky' Danes - Jun 14, 2012
- Denmark still sweating on Bendtner's fitness - Jun 19, 2010
- Suarez, Cavani in Uruguay Olympic team - Jul 10, 2012
- Italy start title defence with a draw; Dutch, Japan win (Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 15, 2010
- Euro 2012: Olsen rues lost penalty as Denmark crash out - Jun 18, 2012
- Pride and Precipice: Contrasting matches in Group E - Jun 23, 2010
- Yellow and red cards at World Cup - Jun 25, 2010
Tags: az alkmaar, blackburn rovers, christian poulsen, daniel agger liverpool, daniel jensen, dennis rommedahl, fc copenhagen, ifk goteborg, injury situation, jakob poulsen, jesper gronkjaer, kim christensen, lars jacobsen, morten olsen, nicklas bendtner, stephan andersen, thomas kahlenberg, thomas sorensen, werder bremen, world cup squad