Ojha to play for English county surreyAugust 2nd, 2011 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 2 (IANS) Indian left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha will be playing for English county Surrey in the first-class and One-day format to gain experience in the lean domestic season.
Ojha has been granted permission by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to play in England and could make his debut for Surrey in a CB40 One-dayer against Northamptonshire August 15. The 24-year-old cricketer is waiting for his visa clearances and hopes to leave for England in a week’s time.
Ojha was member of the Indian squad in the West Indies and last played an international match in November 2010.
“With not much cricket around for me at the moment, I thought it would be best if I could utilise the time by playing some county cricket in England,” Ojha was quoted as saying by the ESPNcricinfo.
Ojha has a bit of an idea about English conditions as he represented India in the World Twenty20 in 2009 and had a month long stint with the Slathwaite Cricket Club in the Huddersfield League in Yorkshire in 2007.
Ojha said it will be a challenge for him to play on surfaces which don’t offer much to spinners.
“It will be a huge challenge for me to play on pitches in England that are not spinner-friendly. I am really looking forward to gaining experience in those conditions,” he said.
The other Indian spinners who have played country cricket in the past are Bishan Bedi, Dilip Doshi, Maninder Singh, Sunil Joshi and Murali Kartik.
- Surprised Ojha not playing Test cricket: Surrey manager - Sep 15, 2011
- Pakistan appoints new bowling coach - Aug 25, 2012
- Kohli, Ojha to replace Yuvraj, Harbhajan in England (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- Harbhajan Singh signs for Essex - Jul 03, 2012
- Surrey signs fast bowler Dirk Nannes - May 27, 2011
- Bell part of Lions squad to face Windies - May 06, 2012
- England rest Anderson for ODI series in India - Sep 27, 2011
- Variation was the key, says comeback man Ojha - Nov 06, 2011
- Panesar, Davies return to England squad - Dec 09, 2011
- India will go into third Test with No.1 Test ranking at stake - Aug 09, 2011
- A fit Samit Patel raring to go - Oct 06, 2011
- Handling the media will be Fletcher's biggest challenge: Vaughan - Apr 27, 2011
- ECB signs seven-year deal with ESPN Star - Jun 04, 2012
- Low Eden turnout sparks nostalgia (Feature) - Oct 28, 2011
- County stint has taught me to overcome pressure: Ojha - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: aug 2, august 15, county cricket, cricket club, cricketer, dayer, doshi, first class, hyderabad, india bcci, murali kartik, northamptonshire, pitches, stint, sunil joshi, surfaces, surrey, west indies, world twenty20, yorkshire