OJ Brigance in “True Courage”April 27th, 2009 - 11:49 pm ICT by GD
OJ Brigance in “True Courage” from NFL Films on TV tonight tells his story.This longtime Baltimore football fixture currently fighting amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), wants you to join the cause against this debilitating illness through his foundation, Brigance’s Brigade.
As a player, the former linebacker spent seven seasons in the NFL after a standout career in Canadian football. Brigance even won a Super Bowl ring with the Ravens in 2001 (fans would remember Brigance making the special teams tackle on the opening kickoff).
As a front office member, Brigance put together a stellar development system for the Ravens, even earning the award for the league’s Best Overall Player Development Program for the past two years and Most Outstanding Internship Program in 2005.
O.J. Brigance sat in his wheelchair, no longer able to lift his arms or use his legs. His boisterous voice — now just a mere whisper — was another outward sign of how much Lou Gehrig’s disease has stolen from the former Rice standout and Super Bowl champion.
What happened to Brigance is no doubt very sad, but he does not wallow in self-pity. He is not only courageous himself but also motivates others to have courage. It is very disheartening to see a performer like Briggance end up with such a sad disease. But like Jason who had a similar fate, OJ continues to live despite the dreadful disease that killed their bodies. They fight and they inspire a lot of us.
- Terrell Suggs Lists Tom Brady And Peyton Manning As NFL Favorites - Dec 06, 2010
- Ravens Player Paul Kruger Ensures His Team's Victory Against The Steelers - Nov 30, 2009
- Oregon Linebacker Casey Matthews Carries On Family Legacy - Jan 11, 2011
- Welcoming footballer Ricky Williams to Hinduism, Hindus ask NFL to make yoga part of player training - Sep 11, 2010
- Michael Oher And Tom Zbikowski Fined By NFL - Oct 03, 2010
- Troy Polamalu Vs. Champ Bailey: A Tale Of Competence Galore - Aug 29, 2010
- Former Minnesota Vikings Player Orlando Thomas Still Alive - Oct 29, 2009
- Former New Orleans Saints Linebacker Rickey Jackson Enters Hall Of Fame - Aug 08, 2010
- Baltimore Ravens Acquire Wide Receiver Anquan Boldin - Mar 06, 2010
- Vince Lombardi's Heritage Attains Sizable Success At Broadway In A Docudrama - Feb 07, 2011
- NFL picks for Week 1 are interesting - Sep 08, 2011
- Concert To Raise Awareness For Lou Gehrig's Disease - May 17, 2010
- Our Daily Bread To Benefit From Baltimore Ravens' Victory - Jan 14, 2011
- Record Of The Highest Attendance At A Super Bowl Not Established On Sunday As A Result Of Construction Problems - Feb 07, 2011
- Super Bowl Predictions Of This Week Favors Giants, Cowboys & Titans - Jan 04, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,