Obamas choice for Vice President may be based on political calculationsAugust 11th, 2008 - 4:59 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, August 11 (ANI): A strategist has said that he expects US presidential candidate Barack Obama would choose a running mate for the post of Vice-President based on political calculations, not the persons readiness for the job.
This was said by Republican strategist Karl Rove on Face The Nation on CBS News on August 11.
I think hes going to make an intensely political choice, not a governing choice, said Rove. Hes going to view this through the prism of a candidate, not through the prism of president, he added.
According to Rove, Hes going to pick somebody that he thinks will on the margin help him in a state like Indiana or Missouri or Virginia. Hes not going to be thinking big and broad about the responsibilities of president.
Rove singled out Virginia governor Tim Kaine, also a Face The Nation guest, as an example of such a pick.
With all due respect again to Governor Kaine, hes been a governor for three years, hes been able but undistinguished, said Rove. I dont think people could really name a big, important thing that hes done, he added.
So if he were to pick Governor Kaine, it would be an intensely political choice where he said, You know what? Im really not, first and foremost, concerned with, is this person capable of being president of the United States? What Im concerned about is, can he bring me the electoral votes of the state of Virginia, the 13 electoral votes in Virginia? said Rove. (ANI)
- Haley, Jindal in Romney's VP guessing game - May 05, 2012
- Obama's former Indian-American aide to join politics - Jul 19, 2012
- Karl Rove Says Sarah Palin Lacks "Gravitas" To Be A President - Oct 30, 2010
- Ex-Bush aide Rove says Palin's only fit to be a 'reality star', not President - Oct 28, 2010
- Trump's desire to be President surprises many in US - Apr 09, 2011
- Palin Engaged In Talks With Family Over A White House Bid In 2012 - Nov 18, 2010
- Tea Party star O'Donnell quips she 'dabbled with witchcraft' in high school - Sep 20, 2010
- Gingrich finally calls it quits (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Karl Rove urges US Republicans to stop falling into Obama 'birther' trap - Feb 18, 2011
- President Obama delivers remarks at rally for Creigh Deeds - Oct 28, 2009
- Aneesh Chopra, Obama's Indian American IT head, quits - Jan 28, 2012
- 'Bush thinks Palin not fit to be President' - Nov 07, 2010
- Karl Rove Cautions that the Tea Party could hurt the GOP - Mar 11, 2010
- Obama heading for political trench warfare between 2010 and 2012 - Nov 14, 2010
- Karl Rove Slams The Fox News Hosts For Raising The Topic Of Anti-Rove Demonstrators - Apr 19, 2010
Tags: august 11, barack obama, cbs news, due respect, electoral votes, face the nation, governor kaine, governor tim kaine, karl rove, political choice, president of the united states, presidential candidate, prism, republican strategist, responsibilities of president, running mate, state of virginia, strategist karl, tim kaine, virginia governor