Obama may accept invite to visit Chicago Cubs training facilityFebruary 18th, 2009 - 6:07 pm ICT by ANI
Mesa (Arizona, US), Feb.18 (ANI): President Obama is likely to visit the training facility of the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday morning, though they know that he is a diehard Chicago White Sox fan.
“Hes more than welcome. Im a big fan of President Obama,” said first baseman Derrek Lee, who contributed to Obamas campaign.
“I just signed a baseball for him, so maybe that will help,” the Chicago Sun Times quoted him, as saying.
Lee hasnt met the President but was asked by someone after practice Tuesday to sign the ball for him.
The Cubs are well aware of Obamas avowed love for the White Sox and arent saying they want him to waffle.
“He doesnt have to like the Cubs. It seems like hes a pretty die-hard Sox fan. I dont think youre going to convert that to a Cubs fun,” Lee said.
Cubs manager Lou Piniella does seem to take exception, though, to seeing the President wearing that old, worn Sox hat he does so often.
“We got to get him a Cub hat over there. We can sneak Chief Wahoo over there,” he said.
Either way, Piniella said Obama has an open invitation to Fitch Park.
“If he wants to come out here, wed love to have him. Im really happy to see that he enjoys baseball. Im happy to see that hes a White Sox fan, I really am. But mention the Cubbies once in a while, too,” he said. (ANI)
- Carlos Zambrano Throws Another Tantrum, Suspended Indefinitely - Jun 26, 2010
- Adam Dunn Signs A $56 Million Deal With Chicago White Sox - Dec 03, 2010
- Chicago Cubs' Manager Lou Piniella To Retire After The Present Season - Jul 21, 2010
- Chicago Cubs Icon Ron Santo Dies At 70 - Dec 04, 2010
- Theo Epstein to be the new GM of Chicago Cubs - Oct 12, 2011
- White Sox invites Obama to visit new training facility in Arizona - Feb 17, 2009
- Ron Santo Passes Away At 70 - Dec 05, 2010
- Indian American wins White House scribes journalism award - Apr 30, 2012
- Starlin Castro, The New Star Of Chicago Cubs - May 08, 2010
- Baseball Pitcher Mark Buehrle Plays Wonderfully For the White Sox - Jul 15, 2009
- Bobby Jenks Agrees To $2Million Deal With Boston Red Sox? - Dec 17, 2010
- Magglio Ordonez will announce his retirement on Sunday at Comerica Park - May 30, 2012
- President Barack Obama Makes The 100th Pitch - Apr 06, 2010
- White Sox call on `First Fan' Obama - Apr 21, 2009
- Obama's first pitch at Nationals opener goes "little high and outside" - Apr 06, 2010
Tags: arent, baseball, chicago cubs, chicago sun times, chicago white sox, chief wahoo, cubbies, derrek lee, die hard, first baseman, fitch park, hasnt, lou piniella, manager lou piniella, mesa arizona, open invitation, sox fan, us feb, waffle, wednesday morning