Obama joins Chicago Olympic bid as Rogge warns of financesNovember 22nd, 2008 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
Istanbul/Washington, Nov 22 (DPA) US president-elect Barack Obama threw his weight behind Chicago’s bid for the 2016 Olympics, recording a video message for organisers meeting in Turkey.Obama Friday promised his incoming administration “will bring a fresh perspective on America’s role and responsibilities around the world” and praised the Olympic movement for its ability to bring the global community together.
Obama said he has “long supported” Chicago’s bid and the US “would be honoured” to host the games, in a message to the European Olympic Committee meeting in Istanbul.
Chicago is vying for the 2016 Summer Olympics with Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo and Madrid.
International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge meanwhile warned members at the meeting that the games may have to scaled back in light of the ongoing financial crisis that has plunged a number of countries into recession.
Rogge said the financial situation was secure for the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver, Canada, and 2014 in Sochi, Russia, as well as the 2012 Summer Games in London. But he said members had to ensure the Games do not become too large, too expensive or over-organised.
The number of sports in the Summer Olympics must be capped at 28, he said. There will be 26 sports represented in London.
- Nairobi planning to bid for the 2024 Olympics - Aug 09, 2012
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012
- Obama "our quarterback" to win Olympic bid for Chicago: Daley - Mar 29, 2009
- Six cities bid for 2020 Olympics - Sep 03, 2011
- Madrid officially launches bid for 2020 Olympics - Jan 31, 2012
- Obama bound for Copenhagen to push Chicago's Olympic bid - Oct 02, 2009
- Rogge lauds athletes, says Olympics happy and glorious (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Rogge terms London Olympics 'happy & glorious' - Aug 13, 2012
- Obama promotes Chicago''s bid for 2016 Summer Olympics - Nov 22, 2008
- Six new events for 2014 Winter Olympics - Apr 07, 2011
- IOC, Brazil to draw up plan of action for Rio 2016 - Oct 31, 2009
- Olympics 2016 presentations get underway (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Oct 02, 2009
- IOC chief calls for fair Games, praises Vancouver - Feb 10, 2010
- Rio gets 2012 Games, to put South America on Olympic map (Lead) - Oct 03, 2009
- Romario bats for footvolley to become Olympic sport - Feb 11, 2012
Tags: 2010 winter olympic games, 2016 olympics, 2016 summer olympics, chicago olympic bid, european olympic committee, international olympic committee, olympic committee president jacques rogge, olympic movement, sochi russia, winter olympic games