NSWs Henriques earns Aussie call-up for Twenty20 clashFebruary 11th, 2009 - 12:53 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Feb.11 (ANI): Promising New South Wales all-rounder Moises Henriques is set to make his international debut after being named in Australia’’s squad for Sunday’’s Twenty20 clash with New Zealand.
Henriques, 22, is the only new face in the 13-man squad, to be captained by Michael Clarke in the absence of Ponting who has been rested along with Mike Hussey.
Swashbuckling Blues opener David Warner, who was axed from Australia’’s one-day side, has also been recalled.
“This … provides a wonderful opportunity for Moises Henriques. The National Selection Panel regards Moises as an exciting young player with the all-round ability to play a role in the World Twenty20 (championships),” Fox Sports quoted the chairman of selectors, Andrew Hilditch, as saying.
“We recently included him in the PM’’s XI match against New Zealand where he played exceptionally well and, we are hoping this opportunity will help him to continue his development, he added.
“David Warner also returns to the Australian squad for this Twenty20 match. While David was disappointed to be dropped from the one-day squad, we regard him as an exciting young player who definitely remains in our thoughts for the World Twenty20,” Hilditch said.
The Australian team is as follows: Michael Clarke (c), Brad Haddin (vc), Nathan Bracken, Callum Ferguson, Moises Henriques, Ben Hilfenhaus, James Hopes, David Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Adam Voges, David Warner, Cameron White. (ANI)
- Lee in Australia's preliminary squad for World Twenty20 - Feb 26, 2010
- Ponting rested, Henrique in Australian Twenty20 squad - Feb 11, 2009
- Maxwell gets Australian team call-up - Jul 16, 2012
- Hussey, Siddle, Bracken dropped from Australia Twenty20 squad - Aug 11, 2009
- Lee, Hodge named in Oz 30-man 2011 World Cup squad - Dec 17, 2010
- CA drops David Hussey, Bracken and Clark from contracted players list - Apr 07, 2010
- Clarke retained as Australia's Twenty20 captain - May 24, 2010
- Australia calls up Dutch pacer Nannes for 20-20 clash against England - Aug 11, 2009
- Harris, Starc dropped from Windies tour, Haddin recalled - Feb 29, 2012
- Rookie Victorian spinner included in Oz squad for ODI tour of India - Oct 09, 2009
- Ponting axed from Australia's ODI squad, Watson returns - Feb 20, 2012
- Australia to rest Mike Hussey against India - Feb 11, 2012
- Bailey replaces Clarke for Sunday's ODI against India (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Brett Lee, Shaun Tait in Australia's T20 squad - Jan 07, 2011
- Final squads of 11 teams for Champions League named - Aug 22, 2011
Tags: adam voges, callum, cameron white, david hussey, david warner, henriques, hilditch, international debut, man squad, michael clarke, mike hussey, mitchell johnson, moises, nathan bracken, national selection, new south wales, ponting, selection panel, siddle, swashbuckling