Now, Stosur pulls out of Commonwealth GamesJuly 27th, 2010 - 4:33 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, July 27 (IANS) Australian tennis player Samantha Stosur Tuesday joined the growing list of top athletes to pull out of the Oct 3-14 Commonwealth Games in Delhi.
The world no.5 would have been the top seed at the Games, where tennis was featuring for the first time.
The reasons behind Stosur’s pull out are her prior commitments in other important WTA touraments in China and Japan happening around the same time in October.
Stosur joins countrymen Leyton Hewitt in the list of Australian players giving the Games a miss.
Scotsman Chris Hoy, a multiple Olympic gold medalist in cycling and Jamaicans Usain Bolt, a triple Olympic champion and Shelly Ann Fraser, the Olympic 100 meters champion, are the other prominent sportspersons who have decided to skip the Commonwealth Games.
- No Stosur, Hewitt in Australia's CWG tennis squad - Aug 18, 2010
- Lapierre may give Commonwealth Games a miss - Aug 15, 2010
- Gill disappointed over top athletes skipping Commonwealth Games - Jul 18, 2010
- Star pullout of Commonwealth Games not good: Sports Minister Gill (Lead) - Jul 18, 2010
- Gill laments pullout of star athletes from Commonwealth Games - Jul 18, 2010
- Asafa may join Bolt in skipping CWG - Aug 22, 2010
- Olympic champion Rice to compete at Delhi CWG - Aug 19, 2010
- With the clouds gone, CWG competitions set to begin Monday - Oct 03, 2010
- Two more stars pullout from CWG citing fatigue - Sep 03, 2010
- Olympics: Jamaicans rejoice as Bolt wins 100m final - Aug 06, 2012
- Usain Bolt misses Tendulkar in Jamaica - Jun 25, 2011
- Bolt answers critics with world-leading time - Jun 01, 2012
- Bucketful condoms in Olympic Village trigger probe (Olympic Diary) - Aug 09, 2012
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
- Fraser-Pryce sends warning, Blake sizzles in New York - Jun 10, 2012