Now Kiran Bedi refuses to carry Olympic torchApril 9th, 2008 - 10:29 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 9 (IANS) Former top cop Kiran Bedi did a volte-face Wednesday by refusing to run in the Beijing Olympic torch relay in the Capital April 17. Bedi becomes the second Indian after soccer captain Bhaichung Bhutia to refuse to be a part of the run. Bhutia, a Buddhist, had refused to carry the Flame to show his solidarity with the Tibetans.
Bedi, who had earlier publicly declared that despite all protests she would run with the torch, Wednesday said: “I am a sportswoman. I do not want to run with the torch as a caged woman. Why turn India Gate into a zoo? What is the point of running with the torch? I do not want to participate in a caged environment. If you make the environment so suffocating, then it is better to let the torch travel on wheels or with the Army.”
Bedi, a Magsasay award winner with an illustrious career in the Indian Police Service (IPS), had earlier said: “I am running for the glory of sports. It is the ultimate sporting endeavour. The protest had come too late. The protest should have been there when China was awarded the Games. I will totally run as a former sportswomen.”
The Bejing Games, which will be held from Aug 8-24, has run into trouble following China’s crackdown on Tibet. The Tibetans have been protesting for a free nation.
On Sunday, thousands of protesters waving Tibetan flags and shouting “Shame on China” disrupted the London leg of the torch relay.
Tibetans and other human rights groups are planning similar protests in New Delhi on the day of the torch relay next week to voice their anger against China’s Tibetan policy.
Fearing trouble from Tibetan protestors, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has already shortened the route of the Olympic torch relay. The original 8-9 km run from Red Fort to India Gate has been shortened to 2-3 km. Details of the redrawn route are being worked out.
- Sachin looking forward to carrying Olympic torch - Apr 07, 2008
- Bhaichung Bhutia: A fairytale journey (Profile) - Aug 24, 2011
- Olympic torch will go through Delhi unhindered, Kalmadi hopes - Apr 07, 2008
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- Torch tensions rise as Tibetan protesters gather, Bedi says no - Apr 09, 2008
- Billy Mitchell to carry Olympic flame through Albert Square - Nov 15, 2011
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Drogba to run in Olympic torch relay - May 23, 2012
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- Olympic Torch sold for over £150,000 on the auction site eBay - May 22, 2012
- Olympic torch relay hit by flash protests - Jul 22, 2012
- British athletes' fathers feature as torch bearers - Jan 11, 2012
- Olympic Torch Relay to showcase iconic North West - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: award winner, buddhist, crackdown, endeavour, free nation, human rights groups, illustrious career, india gate, indian olympic association, indian police service, ioa, New Delhi, olympic torch relay, protesters, protestors, sportswoman, sportswomen, tibet, tibetan flags, volte face