Not interested in becoming Hockey India president: GillJune 14th, 2009 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) K.P.S Gill, who was sacked as the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) president last year, might be back in the fold after the IHF and Hockey India joined hands Sunday, but says he is not “interested” in heading the new body.
“I am not interested to become the president. If they want any help from me, then I have a road-map for the sport and I will be happy to share my views,” Gill told IANS.
Gill-led IHF was superseded by Indian Olympic Association (IOA) after its then secretary general K. Jothikumaran was caught in a cash-for-selection scandal last April.
The newly-formed Hockey India and IHF Sunday came together to work for the merger of the men’s and women’s state units and to hold elections within six months as per the guidelines of the International Hockey Federation (FIH).
The move has led to speculation that Gill, who was IHF president for 14 years, could once again return to the hot seat. He, however, scotched that possibility Sunday.
But when asked by IANS whether he would like to return as the president, Gill said :
Even if Gill, who is the vice-president of Asian Hockey Federation, doesn’t contest the elections, is likely to be accommodated with some honorary post in Hockey India, sources in the IHF said, adding they were looking for a larger role for Gill in the sport.
On his part, Jothikumaran, who is Tamil Nadu Hockey Association (TNHA) secretary general, is likely to give Hockey India a tough time as he cannot be stopped him from contesting the Hockey India elections.
“He has been re-elected from TNHA and we cannot stop him if he wants to contest the elections,” the source said.
Gill also criticised the government for ignoring hockey.
“We had written so many letters to the sports ministry to address our concerns but nothing comes out. The government has to provide proper facilities and nutritional diet to athletes. It has to be a long-term sustained effort for Indian sports to improve,” he maintained.
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- Hockey India and Gill-led IHF join hands for merger - Jun 14, 2009
- FIH gives a month to HI and IHF to work out merger formula - Feb 26, 2012
- No question of recognising IHF again, says FIH official - Aug 07, 2010
- KPS Gill holds AGM of superseded IHF - Apr 25, 2010
- We can solve the hockey mess through talks: K.P.S. Gill - Jul 28, 2010
- HI to act tough on Bhopal nationals' participants - Jul 04, 2010
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- Hockey India's claims meaningless, says Gill - May 23, 2010
- Hockey India paid higher hosting fee for World Cup: Gill - Jun 08, 2011
- IHF and IWHF form joint body, to hold election in October - Aug 12, 2010
- IHF, IWHF call special general meeting for merger - Aug 11, 2010
- FIH rejects ministry's contention, backs Hockey India - Aug 09, 2010
- Reinstated by court, Gill vows to be back in action - May 21, 2010
- Sports ministry recognises Gill-led IHF (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
Tags: hockey association, hot seat, ihf, india elections, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, indian sports, international hockey federation, ioa, june 14, merger, New Delhi, nutritional diet, road map, scandal, secretary general, six months, speculation, sports ministry, vice president