Not bidding for 2020 Olympics was the right decision: Pietro MenneaFebruary 16th, 2012 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
Milan, Feb 16 (IANS) Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti’s cabinet not backing Rome’s bid for the 2020 Olympics was a right decision, feels the country’s former Olympic champion Pietro Mennea.
According to the 1980 Olympic 100m gold medallist and long-time world 200m record-holder, the decision against bidding for the Olympics “prevented Italians from being stuck with an indefinite burden”.
“Taxpayers and the country are not in the right economic conditions to host this huge event, and Monti made a very responsible, honest and correct choice”, said Mennea, who is also the author of various books on the Olympics including the recent “I costi delle Olimpiadi (The costs of Olympics)” that was reportedly studied by Monti attentively before his announcement Tuesday.
Mennea noted that Italy’s investment plan for the Olympics estimated around 10 billion euros, about the 0.7 percent of gross domestic product, would unavoidably mount in case of Rome hosting the games.
“Costs for London Olympics have quadrupled, and the Beijing ones have more than doubled, while costs for Athens Olympics rose from three billion euros to 15 billion euros, which triggered the country’s debt crisis,” he said.
“I participated in the Munich and Montreal Olympics in 1972 and 1976, and I know that both Germans and Canadians finished to pay off the games’ burden only in 2005,” Mennea stressed.
“I have been studying the Olympics phenomenon for decades, and can tell for sure that the world games have never helped any economy recover,” he said.
- Olympics won't be easy for Bolt: Mennea - Jul 13, 2012
- Rome forced to drop bid for 2020 Olympics - Feb 15, 2012
- Athens and two modern Olympic Games - Jul 18, 2012
- Italian ministers post salaries online - Feb 22, 2012
- Italy's Euro final loss blow to economic prospects - Jul 03, 2012
- 24,000 Italian government employees to lose jobs - Jul 11, 2012
- Italian police clamp down on tax evaders - Jan 30, 2012
- Italy's industrial production rose in November - Jan 13, 2012
- Italian MPs are top earners in Europe - Jan 04, 2012
- Italy within reach of economic recovery: Italian PM - Sep 06, 2012
- Unemployment hits 8-year high in Italy - Mar 02, 2012
- Italy does not need EU help: Monti - Jun 13, 2012
- Parcel bomb explodes at Italian tax collecting agency, injuring director - Dec 10, 2011
- Italy's industrial output suffers steep October decline - Dec 09, 2011
- Italy's new Cabinet wins confidence vote - Nov 19, 2011
Tags: 2020 olympics, athens olympics, correct choice, debt crisis, economic conditions, gold medallist, gross domestic product, investment plan, italian prime minister, italians, london olympics, mario monti, montreal olympics, olympic 100m, olympic champion, olympics in 1972, pietro mennea, right decision, time world, world games