North, not Hauritz should be Australia’s first-choice spinner: MacGillNovember 7th, 2010 - 1:22 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Nov 7 (ANI): Former spinner Stuart MacGill has backed Marcus North to be retained for the coming Ashes series, as first-choice spinner.
The selectors are debating over Nathan Hauritz, Steve Smith, Xavier Doherty and a host of unproven candidates to fill the spinning slot.
MacGill, who bagged 208 Test wickets with his ripping leg breaks, said: “I think Nathan Hauritz has done a very good job in a variety of situations and environments over the past 12 to 24 months.”
“But I’ve said this before the 2009 Ashes, I’m of the opinion that Marcus North can do the job that Nathan has been asked to do,” MacGill told The Sun-Herald.
“If that’s the case, then Marcus North plays and Nathan doesn’t. It’s a very, very tough call, but by picking a No.6 batsman who can do that job, you’ve got another bowler. If it’s not Marcus North [in that role], then he goes, because he’s not the best No.6.
“If Nathan Hauritz is your first-picked spinner, Marcus goes and Usman Khawaja comes in and you probably retain Mike Hussey,” MacGill said.
Asked if North’s tweakers could trouble England’s batting line-up, MacGill said: “How good [are they]? If you compare the stats, they do the same job. Marcus’ first-class figures and best [performances] are the equal of Nathan’s.”
North has taken 13 Test wickets at an average of 37, boasting best figures of 6 for 55. In comparison, Hauritz has taken 63 scalps at an average of 35, with best figures of 5 for 53, The Sydney Morning herald reports. (ANI)
- Krejza should be recalled for Ashes: Mark Waugh - Nov 14, 2010
- MacGill favours Hauritz, says Beer clearly not the best spinner - Jan 06, 2011
- Stuart Macgill blasts Hilditch's Ashes selection - Dec 11, 2010
- Big Bash launch pales in comparison with IPL - Dec 17, 2011
- Oz media blasts MacGill for targeting George, selectors - Oct 13, 2010
- MacGill endorses North for Ashes spinner''s job - Mar 25, 2009
- Experts in favour of Khwaja and Harris in Oz Ashes squad - Oct 17, 2010
- Oz selector Hilditch indicates Clark will be dropped for Ashes decider - Aug 12, 2009
- Hauritz hits back at critics, vows to deliver - Oct 09, 2010
- Spinners will be India's trump card at World T20: MacGill - Sep 18, 2012
- New South Wales coach backs Hauritz's Oz selection for World Cup - Jan 16, 2011
- MacGill returns to cricket with Big Bash League - Dec 02, 2011
- MacGill wants to play in IPL - Dec 26, 2011
- Hauritz, Australia's best hope of regaining Ashes: Jenner - Dec 07, 2010
- Hauritz nails a ton to convince selectors on Ashes recall - Dec 08, 2010
Tags: australia, batsman, england, environments, first choice, first class, good job, mike hussey, morning herald, nathan hauritz, scalps, selectors, steve smith, stuart macgill, sun herald, sydney morning herald, sydney nov, test wickets, tweakers, xavier