North Carolina Shocked By Larry Drew II’s Sudden DepartureFebruary 5th, 2011 - 6:08 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Feb 5, (THAINDIAN NEWS) With only one month left in the regular season, it came across as a tremendous shock for the Tar Heels team when they found out that junior point guard Larry Drew II was leaving the team. The 20 year old on Friday informed the team that he was stepping out of the North Carolina school and instead heading to a new team. A source on the condition of anonymity reported that the junior player left the school campus on Friday morning.
His last game with North Carolina was on Wednesday when he assisted the team for a 106-74 victory against Boston College. In a statement issued by North Carolina on Friday, Larry Drew II said that he was opting out of the team for that would be best for him to pursue his basketball career and education somewhere else. Even though it got confirmed that the son of the Atlanta Hawks head coach Larry Drew will no longer be associating himself with Tar Heels but the question that remains unanswered is which school will be join next. In a press conference, Tar Heels coach Roy Williams announced that the news had completely shocked him.
Roy Williams added that it was Larry Drew who had called him up in the morning to inform the news, adding that he was just conveying his son’s wishes. A member of Larry Drew II’s recruiting class, Tyler Zeller told the media that it was not that they were angry by his decision but were certainly left ‘little stranded’ by it. Larry Drew II had recently lost his staring position to newbie Kendall Marshall.
- Cody Zeller Likely To Sign With Indiana - Nov 12, 2010
- LSU Beats North Carolina 30-24 - Sep 05, 2010
- Savon Huggins Gives Verbal Commitment To Rutgers Scarlet Knights - Jan 29, 2011
- Dukes Rule Over UNC In Chapel Hill - Feb 11, 2010
- Childhood Memories Drove William "Bill" Zeller To Death - Jan 07, 2011
- Harrison Barnes All Set To Join North Carolina University - Nov 14, 2009
- Prandelli to take over from Lippi earlier than expected - Jun 26, 2010
- Larry Drew Appointed As Atlanta Hawks Head Coach - Jun 12, 2010
- Tyler Hansbrough's Jersey Number 50 Retired - Feb 11, 2010
- Billiards player Mukesh Rehani no more - Jun 10, 2011
- Fantasy football: Week 11 - Nov 21, 2011
- Harrison Barnes to make his decision public on Friday - Nov 12, 2009
- Ignorance Costs Dez Bryant Massive Dinner Bill - Sep 30, 2010
- Kaye Cowher Will Be Missed By Pittsburgh Steelers Community, Says Arthur J. Rooney II - Jul 25, 2010
- Former NBA Star Maurice Lucas Dies After Losing Battle With Bladder Cancer - Nov 02, 2010
Tags: anonymity, atlanta hawks, basketball career, boston college, coach roy williams, dey, education, friday morning, hawks, head coach, kendall, last game, madhuri, marshall, north carolina school, shock, sudden departure, tar heels, tyler zeller, victory