Noorani bags surprise pole in round two of Polo CupJuly 16th, 2011 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
Coimbatore, July 16 (IANS) Mumbai driver Rahil Noorani’s aggressive strategy in the opening laps paid off as he claimed the pole position in the rain-affected qualifying session of Polo Cup Round 2 at the Kari Motor Speedway here Saturday.
Noorani, choosing to come out on the track for the first two laps with the rain playing hide and seek, clocked 1 min 16.439 secs to set the tone for third and fourth race of the season Sunday. Chennai-based Ajay Kini, featuring in his first race of the season, recorded 1:16.493 and will start second on the grid ahead of Pune’s Oshan Kothadiya, who set a time of 1:16.553.
Noorani’s “surprise pole” has also added spice to the championship as leader Vishnu Prasad’s effort of 1:17.065 got him the ninth fastest time. Prasad had won the first two races from pole position.
The qualifying saw intermittent showers, forcing the drivers to the pits to change the air pressure in the dry weather tyres. It started pouring after the first two laps but the drivers avoided to switch to wet tyres thinking they will lose time in the 30 min session.
The luck was also on Noorani’s side as light drizzle gave way to heavy showers when he parked his car and other drivers found it tough to accelerate on a wet track.
“With the rain coming and going, I chose to go all out in the opening lap. The rain got heavier after the first two laps and I decided to go back to the pits. It turned out to be the right decision in the end,” Noorani told IANS.
When asked whether he expected pole after finishing 19th of the 20 drivers in the second race last month, the 21-year-old said: “Honestly, I did not expect it. Everyone thought Vishnu will be the fastest.”
Vishnu, 17, was in disbelief after his performance but vowed to comeback strong in the race.
The teenager said his driving style is suited to wet tyres and if it rains on the morrow, he will win the race.
“I don’t know what happened. I drove okay but could not get the time. Seeing the weather trend here, it looks it will rain again and it is something that I prefer,” Vishnu told IANS.
Vishnu had raced to victory in the previous race after starting from eighth position.
- Polo Cup: Vishnu Prasad extends lead with Round 2 win - Jul 17, 2011
- Veterans rule the roost at JK Races - Aug 21, 2011
- Leelakrishan completes a double in JK Tyre National Racing - Oct 16, 2011
- Ameya, Vishnu annex titles in JK Tyre National Racing - Nov 27, 2011
- Double for Rajvirudhan, Feroz Khan in JK Tyre National Racing - Sep 18, 2011
- Top 10 finishes for Vishnu, Avdumber in Polo Cup China - Oct 03, 2011
- Rains add twist to National Racing Championship - Nov 25, 2011
- Rajvirdhan, Diljith claim titles in National Racing - Nov 26, 2011
- Alonso takes pole in British GP qualifying, Nico 9th fastest - Jul 08, 2012
- Close battles likely in JK Races - Sep 16, 2011
- JK Racing: Khushlani grabs eighth spot - Sep 09, 2012
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Commanding win for Deepak in National Racing Championship - Jun 18, 2011
- Webber claims pole, Di Resta 6th fastest at British GP - Jul 09, 2011
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: aggressive strategy, air pressure, coimbatore, disbelief, dry weather, fastest time, intermittent showers, kari, light drizzle, motor speedway, oshan, pits, pole position, polo cup, rain, right decision, secs, spice, teenager, wet track