No Twitter ban for Russia at EurosJune 3rd, 2012 - 9:05 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 3 (IANS/Ria Novosti) Russia’s coach Dick Advocaat said Sunday he will not follow his Spanish counterpart Vicente del Bosque and forbid his players fom using social networking site Twitter during Euro 2012.
On Saturday several Spanish footballers, including Barcelona’s Cesc Fabregas, Gerard Pique and Victor Valdes informed their followers that they won’t be allowed to post anything while their teams remain in the tournament.
Asked if he is weighing up the same measures for his team, Advocaat said “No, because everybody is responsible for the things they write,” he said.
Midfielder Roman Shirokov and goalkeeper Vyacheslav Malafeev are two of the squad’s more frequent tweeters, with Shirokov particularly renowned in Russia for his sharp comebacks to unkind remarks.
Advocaat said that as a non-Russian speaker, he has never read Shirokov’s account, though he had heard of it and trusts the player not to push it too far.
“He knows what he can do and what he can’t, if he goes too far we will tell him,” the 64-year-old Dutchman said.
Germany boss Joachim Low also expressed concern about “rather dangerous” Twitter on Sunday, but also said he would not deprive his players of the right to use it.
- Coach Advocaat proud of Russia despite Euro exit - Jun 17, 2012
- Russia to improve: Advocaat - Jun 03, 2012
- Russia's Akinfeev has knee problem: Advocaat - Jun 05, 2012
- Portugal is Russia's group nemesis - Sep 08, 2012
- Zenit can win Champions League in two years: Malafeev - Sep 09, 2012
- Russia beat Czech Republic 4-1 in Euro 2012 - Jun 09, 2012
- Spain favourites, Russia outsiders: Advocaat - Jun 05, 2012
- Del Bosque hails 'great era' of Spanish football - Jul 02, 2012
- Russia coach Advocaat not to make changes for Poland - Jun 12, 2012
- Euro 2012: Greek grit secures win, knocks out Russia - Jun 17, 2012
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
- 'Russia can survive without Arshavin' - May 29, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain coach Del Bosque rejects past glories - Jul 01, 2012
- Arshavin crucial to Russia's success, says Advocaat - Jun 09, 2012
- Spain prepare for Euro defence with China game - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: cesc fabregas, coach dick, comebacks, counterpart, dick advocaat, euro 2012, footballers, gerard pique, goalkeeper, joachim low, midfielder, old dutchman, ria novosti russia, social networking site, tweeters, twitter, unkind remarks, vicente del bosque, victor valdes, vyacheslav