No praise enough for Messi: GuardiolaMarch 21st, 2012 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, March 21 (IANS) Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola had words of praise for striker Lionel Messi, who made history by becoming the football club’s leading scorer Tuesday.
Messi’s hat-trick in Barca’s 5-3 win at home to Granada not only took his total to 34 goals in La Liga, it took his overall tally at the club to 234. By getting to that figure, Messi has overtaken Cesar as the highest scorer.
The Spanish press has once again almost run out of words to describe the achievements of the Barcelona striker and speaking in el Mundo Deportivo Wednesday morning, Guardiola admitted that he also struggled to describe Messi’s feats.
“Everything has been said about Messi,” he said.
“He doesn’t score goals, he scores great goals and each one is almost better than the previous one. He has scored 234 goals as a 24-year-old and he does it day after day,” continued Guardiola.
“We are looking at absolutely the best player. He is able to do everything a footballer has to do and he does it every third day. There has never been anyone like him, he is different, and we are very happy to have him here and to live with him. I hope he stays for a long time.”
Guardiola compared Messi with basketball legend Michael Jordan.
“Jordan dominated his sport and this lad dominates his,” he added.
- Romario boasts he's better than Messi, Maradona - Mar 18, 2012
- Messi becomes Barcelona's all-time leading scorer - Mar 21, 2012
- Messi won't leave Barcelona for money - Nov 04, 2011
- Barca look to put pressure on Madrid - Mar 23, 2012
- Barcelona take on Espanyol in city derby - Jan 07, 2012
- Barca qualify for Champions League semifinals - Apr 04, 2012
- Two tough defences as Barca host Sevilla - Oct 21, 2011
- Guardiola plays down Espanyol draw - Jan 10, 2012
- No Messi as Barca take on Sporting Gijon - Mar 03, 2012
- 'Ho visto Messi': a superstar with infinite potential - Apr 10, 2010
- Guardiola: I don't think Barca can win the League - Feb 27, 2012
- Champions League: Milan draw with Barcelona, Bayern blank Marseille - Mar 29, 2012
- We're worthy winners, says Guardiola - Apr 04, 2012
- Messi makes history with 50 goals in Spanish league - May 06, 2012
- Guardiola wants Barca to learn from mistakes - Sep 11, 2011
Tags: barca, basketball legend, best player, el mundo deportivo, feats, football club, footballer, great goals, hat trick, lad, lionel messi, michael jordan, pep guardiola, score goals, spanish press, striker, t score, third day, wednesday morning, words of praise