No new face in national football campMay 5th, 2009 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) The I-League failed to throw up any new prospect as chief football coach Bob Houghton went for the tried and tested while selecting 27 players for the national camp at the Ambedkar Stadium here from June 25.
The only noticeable face was experienced defender N.S. Manju in the national camp, which is a part of India’s preparation for the 2011 Asia Cup.
Manju was out of the national team after suffering a hamstring injury during the SAFF Cup last year and the missed the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Challenge Cup that India won to qualify for the Asia Cup after a gap of 24 years.
Churchill goalkeeper Arindam Bhattacharya, who was adjudged the best goalkeeper in the I-League, is also in the camp along with East Bengal’s Subrata Paul and Subhashish Roy Choudhary of Mahindra United.
After the camp, which gets over July 7, the national team will go to Spain or Portugal to play some friendlies to prepare for the Nehru Cup in August.
Goalkeepers: Arindam Bhattacharya (Churchill Brothers), Subrata Paul (East Bengal), Subhashish Roy Choudhary (Mahindra United).
Defenders: Govin Singh, Gourmangi Singh (both Churchill Brothers), Mahesh Gawli, Samir Naik (both Dempo), Surkumar Singh (East Bengal), Anwar (JCT), Deepak Mondal, N.S. Manju, Mohanraj and Rakesh Masih (all Mohun Bagan).
Midfielders: Anthony Pereira, Clifford Miranda, Climax Lawrence (all Dempo), Meharjuddin Wadoo, Syed Rahim Nabi, Renedy Singh (all East Bengal), Baldip Singh, Jagpreet Singh (both JCT), N.P, Pradeep, Steven Dias (both Mahindra United).
Forwards: Sunil Chettri (East Bengal), Abhishek Yadav (Mumbai FC), Sushil Singh, Baichung Bhutia (both Mohun Bagan).
- Arnab, Clifford ruled out from AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 02, 2012
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
- I-League football clubs form their association - Mar 10, 2012
- Four new faces in India squad for Bayern Munich game - Dec 28, 2011
- India names 22-member squad for AFC Challenge Cup - Feb 12, 2010
- Federation Cup: Mohun Bagan bow out, Wahingdoh upset Churchill - Sep 20, 2011
- Salgoacar's Bencherifa is I-League's best coach - Oct 18, 2011
- East Bengal face Mohun Bagan in I-League's Kolkata derby - Feb 03, 2012
- East Bengal, Mohun Bagan finish 1-1 in I-League - Feb 04, 2012
- Subrata, Gourmangi, Baldeep sign for Prayag - Sep 11, 2012
- AFC Challenge Cup squad announced - Feb 12, 2010
- I-League clubs refuse to release players for Caribbean, UK trip - Aug 09, 2011
- Depleted Salgaocar face Mohun Bagan challenge - Apr 13, 2012
- Dempo move step closer to I-League title - Apr 11, 2012
- East Bengal, Lajong in Fed Cup semis - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: afc challenge cup, arindam bhattacharya, asia cup, asian football confederation, baichung bhutia, bob houghton, churchill brothers, coach bob, dempo, east bengal, football camp, football coach, mahindra united, manju, mohun bagan, mondal, nehru cup, new prospect, subrata paul, wadoo