No more new signings for ‘world class’ Man U, says GillAugust 27th, 2010 - 6:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 27 (ANI): Manchester United has ruled out signing any new players as it believes that the squad is strong enough to compete at world level.
Compared to rivals Manchester City, United has signed less players this year, but Chief Executive David Gill believes that the club has right numbers to compete at all levels.
“Hopefully we’ve got the right numbers to compete on all fronts for the rest of the year. We’ve never bought older stars. We turn talented youngsters into top stars. We’ve done it with Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Anderson and Nani,” he said.
“We think Bebe will fit into that profile - so our policy hasn’t changed. But if there’s a player who Sir Alex Ferguson thinks would change things we would go with it,” Gill said.
United came to know about their Champions League group opponents yesterday and they will be favourites to top a Group C that also includes Spanish side Valencia, Scottish champions Rangers and Turkey’s Bursaspor, The Independent reports.
The two clashes with the Scottish side will see United boss Sir Alex Ferguson come up against former assistant Walter Smith.
Smith, who will retire at the end of the season, was Ferguson’s No.2 when United won the FA Cup in 2004.
“You can’t complain about that, it’s a good draw for us. You always look at the travelling side of it and the only one that’s of any great distance is the trip to Turkey,” Ferguson told ManUtd.com. (ANI)
- Valencia can be key in reviving Man U's treble bid - Mar 11, 2011
- Valencia return 'big boost' for Man U's Premier League title bid: Ferguson - Mar 29, 2011
- Fergie labels modern-day footie players 'babies' - Nov 01, 2010
- Next three weeks crucial for Manchester United's bid for a second Treble - Feb 23, 2011
- Rooney branded a 'whore' by fans for wanting to quit Man U - Oct 21, 2010
- Japanese midfielder Kagawa completes move to United - Jun 23, 2012
- 'Victimized' Rooney will be spurred on by two-match FA ban: Ferguson - Apr 10, 2011
- Man U not afraid of facing Barcelona: Fergie - Mar 18, 2011
- Fergie tell Man City: Can you handle big occasion - Apr 16, 2011
- Man U lack 'Cristiano Ronaldo' factor: Ferguson - Apr 29, 2011
- Manchester United outclass Ajax at Europa League - Feb 17, 2012
- Rangers say they can top Man U to reach Champion League last 16 - Oct 01, 2010
- Barcelona not Man U is Champions League contender: Messi - Mar 18, 2011
- Man U will not raid January transfer market: Ferguson - Oct 31, 2010
- United sign Crewe's highly rated teenager - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: alex ferguson, champions league group, class man, cristiano ronaldo, david gill, fa cup, great distance, independent reports, manchester city, nani, new signings, older stars, scottish champions, scottish side, sir alex ferguson, spanish side, talented youngsters, top stars, walter smith, wayne rooney