No Euro 2012 boycott, says Polish PMMay 25th, 2012 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
Warsaw, May 25 (IANS) There will be no boycott of the Euro 2012 football championship in Ukraine and Poland, Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said after talks with European Union leaders in Brussels.
Several EU leaders, including European Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso, recently announced that they would stay away from the Ukrainian leg of the Euro football tournament to protest the Ukrainian government’s treatment of the country’s imprisoned former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko.
Poland as an Euro co-host protested the boycott plans, which were, however, strongly backed by Polish opposition leader Jaroslaw Kaczynski, reported Xinhua.
Tusk said he had urged against the boycott plans at an informal EU summit in Brussels Wednesday and had “received acceptance for the position that there will be no boycott of Euro 2012″.
“For me the important thing was to get this matter off the table,” Tusk said in Warsaw. He added that he had nonetheless urged “restraint” in contacts with Ukrainian government leaders during the Euro event.
“We can limit ourselves to supporting our teams. There’s no need to hug state leaders whom we believe to be violating standards,” Tusk opined.
Tusk also appealed for friendly treatment of foreign Euro fans arriving in Poland.
- Dutch government threatens to boycott Euro 2012 - May 02, 2012
- Ukraine to host Euro 2012 despite boycott threats: President - May 15, 2012
- British government to boycott Euro 2012 - Jun 08, 2012
- Ready for Euro 2012: Polish PM - Mar 23, 2012
- Putin reminds Polish PM of football host responsibility - Jun 14, 2012
- Tango 12 named official ball of Euro 2012 - Nov 30, 2011
- Stay off during Euro 2012, Polish PM tells protesters - May 19, 2012
- Security preparations for Euro 2012 in final phase: Polish official - Dec 07, 2011
- Polish competition watchdog sues UEFA over Euro 2012 tickets - Mar 20, 2012
- Rowdy Russian fans head for Warsaw - Jun 15, 2012
- Poland sacks Euro 2012 main stadium overseer - Feb 15, 2012
- Polish president plays down outside threats to Euro 2012 - May 17, 2012
- Polish border guards ready for Euro 2012 - May 23, 2012
- Polish cops to assist in Ukraine during Euro 2012 - Mar 14, 2012
- French officials to boycott Euro matches in Ukraine - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: boycott, co host, donald tusk, euro 2012, euro football, european commission, european commission president, european commission president jose manuel barroso, european union leaders, football championship, football tournament, former prime minister, government leaders, jose manuel barroso, opposition leader, prime minister yulia tymoshenko, state leaders, ukrainian government, warsaw, xinhua