No charges against Michael Phelps after bong scandalFebruary 17th, 2009 - 12:06 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Feb 17 (ANI): Olympic golden boy Michael Phelps will not face any charges in pot-smoking scandal, according to South Carolina sheriff Leon Lott.
Lett confirmed that they wont prosecute the 23-year-old star, as he defended the zealousness of his probe into pot-smoking at a college party last year.
The eight times Olympic gold medallist came under fire after he was snapped smoking marijuana pipe at a party in University of South Carolina.
Lott said that they had no choice but to launch a probe after the photos surfaced.
“These were drug violations. You had to do something,” The New York Daily News quoted Lott as saying.
“If I had ignored it, people on the other side would have asked why I had ignored it,” he added.
Lott said he won”t prosecute Phelps because, while the Olympian never disputed the photo was of him smoking a water pipe, he also never specifically admitted it.
“We had a photo, and him saying he was sorry for inappropriate behaviour. That behaviour could have been going to a party. He never said, ”I smoked marijuana,”” he added.
Meanwhile, Phelps said he was relieved, had learned his lesson and was ready to “dive back into the pool.” (ANI)
- Michael Phelps could face criminal charges for marijuana use - Feb 04, 2009
- Eight arrested in Michael Phelps pot puffing scandal - Feb 11, 2009
- Phelps "messed up" with pot, says Olympic teammate - Feb 20, 2009
- Mark Wahlberg misses marijuana days - Jul 02, 2012
- 'The Social Network' actor found with pot - Jan 27, 2012
- Jay-Z defends Michael Phelps' pot smoking incident - Apr 20, 2009
- Phelps suspended from swimming, loses Kellogg contract - Feb 06, 2009
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps misses out on gold, but claims record - Aug 01, 2012
- Michael Phelps suspended for 3 months for doping - Feb 06, 2009
- Montel Williams Cited At Aiport For Carrying Drug Paraphernalia - Jan 06, 2011
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Kristen Stewart admits that she smokes pot - Jun 06, 2012
- Michael Phelps hit with $23,289 tax bill - Nov 23, 2009
- Fans defend Phelps after marijuana scandal - Feb 07, 2009
Tags: eight times, going to a party, inappropriate behaviour, lett, lott, marijuana pipe, michael phelps, new york daily news, old star, olympic gold medallist, photo, photos, pool, pot smoking, scandal, smoking marijuana, university of south carolina, water pipe, york daily news