No case filed yet on threat to Dhoni’s familyJanuary 4th, 2009 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Jan 4 (IANS) A First Information Report has not so far been lodged in connection with the extortion letters sent to the family of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, though the Indian cricket skipper did meet police officials here earlier this week regarding the security of his family, officials said Sunday. “The Hatia assistant superintendent of police (ASP) is investigating the case. Any action including an FIR will be lodged based on the investigation report,” K.N. Chaudhary, officer in charge of Doranda Police station told IANS.
Police sources said that neither the Indian cricket captain nor his family members have formally lodged an FIR in connection with the two threat letters they received.
Dhoni, however, met police officials in Ranchi Wednesday and discussed the letters and the security of his family members. The Ranchi police initiated investigation based on the letters but no FIR has been lodged yet.
The Ranchi police also denied local media reports that security cover to Dhoni’s family members had been withdrawn after the Indian skipper left Ranchi.
“The reports of withdrawal of security are baseless. Before the threat was received only five security personnel were deployed which have now been increased to 10,” Chaudhary said.
After the threat was received ‘Z category’ security cover has been provided to Dhoni. Police officials say there are presently 45 security personnel guarding Dhoni.
Dhoni’s family received two letters Monday and Wednesday, allegedly from a gangster named Taslim who claimed to be a close associate of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim.
The first letter demanded Rs.5 million as extortion money and the second letter threatened to blow up Dhoni’s house if the money was not paid.
Dhoni left Ranchi Thursday amid tight security.