No Bravo for warm-up match against Black CapsJuly 15th, 2012 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
St. John’s (Antigua), July 15 (IANS/CMC) Stylish West Indies left-hander Darren Bravo appears to be in a race against time to be fit for the opening Test against New Zealand starting in just under two weeks.
The 23-year-old has failed to recover from the groin injury that ruled him out of the England tour, and was not named in a 12-man WICB President’s XI squad announced Saturday to face New Zealand in a three-day tour match starting next Friday, reports CMC.
Bravo has been one of the Windies’ leading run-scorers over the last year, amassing 949 runs in 10 Tests with three centuries at an average of nearly 50.
He struggled on the recent tour of England, however, with just 75 runs from four innings.
The Trinidadian since has not played competitive cricket in a month.
Meanwhile, Windies A team captain Veersammy Permaul will lead the squad which includes Test opener Adrian Barath, veteran left-hander Shiv Chanderpaul and batsman Kirk Edwards who was vice-captain for the Windies’ England tour.
Edwards, especially, will try to impress selectors following a wretched England campaign where he scored 20 runs from eight innings including four noughts.
Left-handed Kieran Powell, who has been in superb form for the A team, is among the 12 along with Guyanese left-hander Assad Fudadin, who made his Test debut last month on the tour of England.
The three-day match will be played at the Vivian Richards Cricket Ground and will be the only warm-up game for New Zealand ahead of the first Test at the same venue starting July 25.
West Indies Squad: Veerasammy Permaul (captain), Adrian Barath, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Narsingh Deonarine, Kirk Edwards, Assad Fudadin, Delorn Johnson, Kevin McClean, Kieran Powell, Kemar Roach, Shane Shillingford, Devon Thomas.
- Pacer Gabriel in West Indies squad for England - Apr 28, 2012
- Bishoo dropped, in-form batsman Fudadin gets the nod - Apr 20, 2012
- Edwards out, Ramdin returns as Windies vice captain - Jul 23, 2012
- Six changes to Windies A-team for one-dayers against India A - Jun 27, 2012
- Sammy keeps eyes on the skies as Windies face Lions - May 10, 2012
- West Indies look for confidence booster in tour match - Jun 02, 2012
- India A lose to West Indies A - Jun 28, 2012
- No Chris Gayle in West Indies squad for India - Nov 01, 2011
- Weather hits West Indies again, only 18 overs possible - May 07, 2012
- Edwards replaces Rampaul for Jamaica Test - Jul 31, 2012
- Chanderpaul defying England in Lord's Test - May 20, 2012
- Viv blasts woeful Windies, says Ramdin has 'deteriorated' - May 29, 2012
- Deonarine named in Windies squad for first Test - Apr 05, 2012
- Bravo sparkles but Windies collapse against Lions - May 11, 2012
- Ramdin jumps 20 spots amidst controversy - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: assad, barath, batsman, black caps, devon thomas, england tour, groin injury, kemar, kieran, left hander, mcclean, narsingh deonarine, next friday, race against time, selectors, shivnarine chanderpaul, test debut, trinidadian, vice captain, vivian richards