No-ball controversy: Sangakkara accepts blame, says matter now with Lankan Cricket BoardAugust 18th, 2010 - 2:10 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 18 (ANI): Sri Lankan skipper Kumar Sangakkara on Wednesday said that he has taken responsibility for team action regarding the no-ball incident that denied Indian opener Virender Sehwag his 13th ODI century, and added that the matter is now with the Sri Lankan Cricket Board.
“I have faced similar incidents as a player. The incident is unsavory and unfortunate. Any guilty player will be punished,” said Sangakkara.
“The team will put the incident behind them for the next match,” he added.
Earlier on Tuesday, Sangakkara said he had never resorted to unfair tactics on a cricket field, and categorically denied instructing off-spinner Suraj Randiv to bowl a no-ball in the final stages of the match against India on Monday.
A leading English daily ‘The Island’, however, reported that it was Sri Lankan batsman Tillakratne Dilshan, who suggested Randiv bowl a no ball to deny Sehwag his century during Monday’s controversial tri-series match.
The Sri Lankan Cricket Board, which has ordered an internal probe into the no-ball controversy, is yet to make the report official.
With the scores levelled, Randiv bowled a no ball to deny Sehwag a hundred. Everyone condemned the ploy, as it was not within the spirit of the game.
Sehwag remained unbeaten on 99 despite hitting the no ball for a six. (ANI)
- Dilshan asked Randiv to bowl no-ball: reports - Aug 18, 2010
- Spirit of game reponsibility of all cricketers: Sangakkara - Aug 18, 2010
- Randiv suspended for a match, Dilshan fined (Lead) - Aug 18, 2010
- BCCI wants Sri Lanka's strict action in no-ball row - Aug 18, 2010
- Sri Lanka go in with two off-spinners, India one - Apr 02, 2011
- Sri Lanka Board suspends Randiv for one ODI, Sangakara warned - Aug 18, 2010
- ICC commends Sri Lanka's decision to suspend Randiv - Aug 19, 2010
- Sehwag seals victory for India with bonus point (Lead) - Aug 16, 2010
- Sehwag denied century, but seals victory for India (Second Lead, superseding previous story) - Aug 17, 2010
- Lanka cricket board apologises to Sehwag for no-ball incident - Aug 17, 2010
- When Sehwag was denied a well-deserved century - Aug 17, 2010
- Sri Lanka board, Randiv apologise to Sehwag - Aug 17, 2010
- New Zealand-Sri Lanka match abandoned due to heavy rain - Aug 19, 2010
- Sangakkara, Pranavitana grind Indian bowlers (Lead) - Jul 26, 2010
- Jayawardene's strikes century, Sri Lanka post 274/6 (Lead) - Apr 02, 2011
Tags: batsman, controversy, cricket board, cricket field, dilshan, India, internal probe, match, New Delhi, odi, ploy, sangakkara, spirit of the game, sri lankan cricket, tri series, unfair tactics, virender sehwag