Nigeria’s football team to host Arsenal in AugustJune 29th, 2012 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
Abuja (Nigeria), June 29 (IANS) Nigeria’s football team is to play host to the English Premier League club Arsenal FC in a friendly match slated for August 5 in this west African country’s capital, the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) said.
“This will be a great opportunity for the Stephen Keshi-led senior national team of Nigeria, otherwise known as the Super Eagles, to further build on its development process,” NFA spokesperson Ademola Olajire said, adding that the match was being facilitated by Guinness Nigeria as part of the company’s commitment to bring world-class teams to play against the Super Eagles.
Meanwhile, debunking media reports that Arsenal FC would re-grass the football pitch before the match, the stadium manager, Katmwan Dungutse, said such a move might not be in the pipeline, reported Xinhua.
“I have not seen any document on the award of contract for the re-grassing of the stadium’s main-bowl pitch which is expected to host the game,” he said.
The pitch is currently full of sandy patches and dry grass.
- Nigerian president suspends national team from world football - Jul 01, 2010
- Nigeria calls up five overseas players for Peru friendly - May 03, 2012
- Pre-season overseas tour has double edges: Wenger - May 05, 2012
- Tbilisi to host 2015 UEFA Super Cup - Jul 01, 2012
- Liberia holds Nigeria to 2-2 draw - Sep 09, 2012
- Barca complain to UEFA over San Siro pitch - Mar 29, 2012
- Liberia fire football coach - Feb 21, 2012
- Relegation-threatened Mumbai FC face Lajong - Apr 03, 2012
- Warsaw pitch average: Russia's Nababkin - Jun 12, 2012
- Chinese referee admits taking $256,000 in bribes (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- African teams struggle at World Cup on home soil - Jun 18, 2010
- I-League begins Saturday, spotlight on Dempo-Salgaocar clash - Oct 21, 2011
- Feldkamp resigns as Galatasaray coach - Apr 06, 2008
- Pune FC face test of belief against Lajong - Jan 27, 2012
- FIFA probing Argentina-Nigeria friendly - Jun 04, 2011
Tags: abuja nigeria, arsenal fc, debunking, dry grass, eagles, english premier league, football pitch, football team, friendly match, game, guinness, june 29, nigeria football association, nigeria football association nfa, patches, pipeline, spokesperson, stephen keshi, xinhua