Niersbach is new president of German Football AssociationMarch 3rd, 2012 - 3:29 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, March 3 (IANS) Wolfgang Niersbach is the new president of the German Football Association — or Deutsche Fussball Bund (DFB), the association announced after an extraordinary meeting in Frankfurt.
Niersbach is the 11th DFB president following a unanimous election by 257 delegates to become successor to Theo Zwanziger as head of the association.
“I have great respect for the office. At the same time, I am looking forward to this great task. Many great men have made the DFB what it is today… to continue that work is a great gift for me,” Niersbach said.
Before the election, Niersbach declared he would extend youngster promotion and act firmly against any form of racism, discrimination and violence.
Niersbach joined the DFB in 1988 as a chief press officer to experience the World Cup win with team boss Franz Beckenbauer in 1990 at Rome. Later, he organized the World Cup 2006 in Germany as vice president of the organising committee.
In October 2007, Niersbach became DFB general secretary and since then he has led the administration of the DFB.
- Germany not to bid for Euro 2020 - Apr 28, 2012
- Robin Dutt to take over as sports director of German football (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Robin Dutt appointed sports director of German football federation - Jul 24, 2012
- German football boss upbeat Loew will stay as coach - Jul 09, 2010
- German football federation admits poor World Cup ticket sales - Jan 19, 2010
- Beckenbauer backs Ballack as captain - Aug 14, 2010
- FIFA chief Blatter calls for alternative to penalty shootouts - May 25, 2012
- Loew stays on as Germany's coach until Euro 2012 - Jul 20, 2010
- Germans quietly happy about third place at World Cup - Jul 11, 2010
- German football boss wants Loew to stay coach after World Cup - Oct 11, 2009
- World Cup organisers get profit guarantee from FIFA - Jun 10, 2010
- 280 arrested in Brussels violence - Sep 04, 2010
- Bundesliga booms despite loss of Oezil and Khedira - Aug 18, 2010
- Bierhoff: Loew decision after World Cup - Jul 10, 2010
- German coach names players for Argentina friendly - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: chief press, delegates, deutsche fussball bund, dfb, discrimination, extraordinary meeting, frankfurt, franz beckenbauer, general secretary, german football association, great men, new president, organising committee, racism, rome, team boss, unanimous election, wolfgang niersbach, world cup 2006, youngster