Neymar vows to avenge Santos’ shock defeatApril 27th, 2012 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Rio De Janeiro, April 27 (IANS) Santos striker Neymar has vowed to seek revenge after Bolivar’s shock 2-1 victory over the defending Copa Libertadores champions in La Paz.
Neymar was subjected to a hostile reception from home fans Wednesday, some of whom hurled fruit and stones at the 20-year-old, reported Xinhua.
During the second half he fell to ground clutching his jaw after being struck by an orange while taking a corner kick.
The Brazil international forward said he was already looking forward to the return match in Brazil May 10.
Santos coach Muricy Ramalho was furious at the treatment of his players and called for tighter security measures by the South American Football Confederation (Conmebol).
“They throw bananas and stones - and we can’t complain because Conmebol doesn’t do anything about it,” Ramalho said. “Playing here in Bolivia is sad. They treated us very badly.”
Despite the result Santos only needs to win the second leg 1-0 to advance to the quarter-final due to the away goal rule.
- Neymar struck by missile in Santos defeat - Apr 26, 2012
- Corinthians into Copa Libertadores final - Jun 21, 2012
- Santos equal record to cruise into Copa Libertadores quarter-finals - May 11, 2012
- Santos playmaker Ganso to return for Libertadores semis - Jun 12, 2012
- Bolivar players pleaded for mercy, says Santos striker - May 12, 2012
- Internacional best club in Brazil - Apr 03, 2012
- Defending champion Santos lose in Copa Libertadores - Apr 26, 2012
- Defending champions Santos lose Libertadores opener - Feb 16, 2012
- Neymar dreaming of final against Boca - May 26, 2012
- Santos accuses Brazil confederation of burning out Neymar - Jun 15, 2012
- Brazil releases Neymar, Ganso for Libertadores quarter-final - May 15, 2012
- Santos slam Ponte Preta 6-1 in Sao Paulo state championship - Feb 26, 2012
- Ceni upstages Pele as Brazil's greatest - Aug 29, 2012
- Ronaldinho out of Brazil squad - May 12, 2012
- Santos' seven-game winning streak ends - Mar 11, 2012
Tags: bananas, bolivar, bolivia, copa libertadores, corner kick, football confederation, home fans, hostile reception, la paz, neymar, return match, revenge, rio de janeiro, second half, security measures, shock defeat, south american football, tighter security, victory, xinhua