Neymar struck by missile in Santos defeatApril 26th, 2012 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, April 26 (IANS) Brazilian star Neymar was struck by an object thrown from the crowd in Santos’ 1-2 loss at Bolivar in Libertadores Cup last-16 first leg in La Paz.
Bolivar were lucky that the match Wednesday was not suspended for the act of violence. Chilean referee Enrique Osses warned Bolivar he would suspend the match if there was a repeat of the incident.
Santos’ ace Neymar was taking a corner in the 78th minute and was struck by an object thrown from the crowd and fell to ground clutching his face at the Hernando Siles stadium in the Bolivian capital.
Neymar though got up soon enough but struggled to make an impact on the match, noticeably suffering from the effects of 3600m high altitude.
The away goal means Santos only needs to win the return match 1-0 to advance to the quarter-finals.
- Defending champion Santos lose in Copa Libertadores - Apr 26, 2012
- Neymar vows to avenge Santos' shock defeat - Apr 27, 2012
- Santos equal record to cruise into Copa Libertadores quarter-finals - May 11, 2012
- Defending champions Santos lose Libertadores opener - Feb 16, 2012
- Bolivar players pleaded for mercy, says Santos striker - May 12, 2012
- Neymar helps Santos beat the Strongest 2-0 - Apr 20, 2012
- Neymar dreaming of final against Boca - May 26, 2012
- Santos accuses Brazil confederation of burning out Neymar - Jun 15, 2012
- Neymar's father denies bankruptcy fears - Aug 29, 2012
- Neymar charters luxury jet for Santos match - Aug 16, 2012
- Corinthians into Copa Libertadores final - Jun 21, 2012
- Santos reach Sao Paulo state championship final - Apr 30, 2012
- Damiao's hat-trick gives Internacional impressive win - Mar 14, 2012
- Santos take lead in Group A of Libertadores Cup - Mar 23, 2012
- Neymar, Messi in charity match - Apr 01, 2012