Neymar can surpass Messi, Maradona: PeleAugust 19th, 2012 - 4:04 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Aug 19 (IANS) Football legend Pele says Brazil sensation Neymar has the ability to be better than Lionel Messi and Diego Maradona.
Speaking at an event in Sao Paulo Saturday, Pele said Barcelona star Messi and 1986 World Cup winner Maradona shared “similar limitations”, reports Xinhua.
“Maradona was a great player but he only had a left foot and wasn’t a renowned header of the ball,” Pele said. “Messi is almost a copy of him. That’s why I think Neymar has the capacity to be better.”
Pele, widely regarded as the greatest player in history, scored 1,284 goals in a career that spanned from 1956 to 1977.
Neymar, 20, has scored 133 times in three seasons with Santos.
Asked if Neymar could be better than him, Pele replied: “It’s difficult to say but it won’t be easy for him. He is an exceptional player but at times he has shown that he is not mature enough yet to take on certain responsibilities.”
- Maradona calls Pele 'idiot' for comments on Messi - Jun 10, 2012
- Barcelona aim to unite Neymar and Messi - Mar 11, 2012
- Santos reach Sao Paulo state championship final - Apr 30, 2012
- Santos preparing offer to keep Neymar beyond 2014 - Apr 06, 2012
- Neymar ensures Santos victory over Flamengo - Sep 13, 2012
- Barcelona in bid to secure Neymar after Olympics - Jul 30, 2012
- Santos accuses Brazil confederation of burning out Neymar - Jun 15, 2012
- Ronaldinho out of Brazil squad - May 12, 2012
- Neymar-inspired Santos draw first blood in final - May 07, 2012
- Romario boasts he's better than Messi, Maradona - Mar 18, 2012
- Sao Paulo win thriller against Santos - Mar 19, 2012
- Santos slam Ponte Preta 6-1 in Sao Paulo state championship - Feb 26, 2012
- Neymar scores 100th career goal on birthday - Feb 06, 2012
- Santos' seven-game winning streak ends - Mar 11, 2012
- Striker Fabiano recalled to Brazil squad - Sep 12, 2012