New Zealand twin sisters eye rowing gold in BeijingJuly 19th, 2008 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 19 (Xinhua) Georgina and Caroline Swindell are twin sisters known to almost everybody in their home country New Zealand for their excellent performances in rowing in the past decade. They will come to the Olympics with high expectations of adding to their kitty. The sisters, born Oct 10, 1978 in Hastings, started rowing in 1994 and have snatched 10 medals altogether. They began to reap medals in 2001 and won the gold in the W2 race in the Athens Olympics with a timing of 07:01.79 seconds.
They also competed in the W4 class. They won the 2000m race in the Rowing World Cup’s third regatta in Poznan Malta of Poland in June of 2008 in 07:31.45 secs.
In November 2005, they were named Rowing Female Crew of the Year by the International Rowing Federation (FISA). In 2001, Caroline won silver at the World Championships in both the double and quadruple sculls. Together with her sister, she won gold at both the 2002 and 2003 Rowing World Championships in the double sculls.
New Zealand rowing selectors in early March named 12 rowers who secured berths for the Beijing Olympic Games in August, including the twin sisters.
The sisters will face a strong challenge to their rivals from Europe.
The first challenge comes from Britain. The British team won the silver medal in the W2 race in Athens, followed by Germany.
- Rowing world champion Drysdale eyes maiden Olympic gold - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympic rowing: Britain wins gold in lightweight women's double sculls - Aug 04, 2012
- Three Indian rowers qualify for Olympics - Apr 29, 2012
- Reaching quarters will be good: Indian rowing coach - Jul 20, 2012
- Olympics: New Zealand rowers set records - Jul 29, 2012
- Gold for Tomar, Laxminarain in Asian Rowing - Oct 17, 2011
- Olympics: Back injury dashes Russian weightlifter's hopes - Aug 04, 2012
- Danes snatch rowing gold from Britain - Aug 04, 2012
- Liu Xiang arrives in London, eying second Olympic gold medal - Jul 12, 2012
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
- Olympic rowing: New Zealand's Drysdale takes single sculls gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Narang to take stance amid high expectations - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic rowing: Sawarn Singh finishes 16th in single sculls - Aug 03, 2012
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
Tags: athens olympics, crew of the year, double sculls, female crew, fisa, georgina, high expectations, international rowing federation, medals, olympic games, poznan, regatta, rowers, rowing world championships, secs, selectors, silver medal, swindell, twin sisters, xinhua