New Zealand tour will be tough, says DhoniFebruary 18th, 2009 - 9:13 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Feb.18 (ANI): Indian cricket team captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni said on Wednesday that the forthcoming tour of New Zealand would be a tough assignment, as India has not won a series there since 1996.
Addressing a press conference here before the teams departure for a Twenty20 and a one-day international series, Dhoni said: “It’’s better to start as underdogs (in a series). It’’s going to be tough, but international cricket is tough whether at home or away. We have heard how beautiful it (New Zealand) is. We would enjoy the tour and hopefully would come back with a couple of trophies. We don”t bother whether we are playing in Sri Lanka or any other country.”
He also revealed that when a member of team makes a mistake on the field, he does get upset.
“I do get frustrated at times when a mistake is made on the field. But I feel there’’s no point in abusing him there. I prefer to go back into the dressing room and point out his mistake. That helps him more,” Dhoni said.
He used the occasion of the press conference to unveil the Indian team’’s new one-day kit — bold blue in colour in the presence of his teammates.
He also said that he would not be bungee jumping in New Zealand as his contract prohibits him from doing so.
Dhoni has been invited by Tourism Auckland to take up the challenge and bungee jump from the Auckland Harbour as a “stress buster”.
Teammate Yuvraj Singh supported Dhoni and said “Our tour contract does not allow us to do bungee jumping.”
The Indian squad is set to depart for New Zealand early tomorrow morning after attending the Cricket Board’’s annual awards function here this evening.
Zaheer Khan was among the six New Zealand-bound team members to walk the ramp with the new ODI outfit.
He said that he was enjoying the responsibility of leading the Indian attack.
The new “Dri-Fit” outfit, designed and produced by the Board of Control for Cricket in India’’s (BCCI) official apparel sponsors Nike, is said to be ideal for steamy conditions. (ANI)
- Good team won us World Cup, not just captaincy: Sehwag - Jul 06, 2012
- We need to deliver, says Gambhir - Jul 16, 2012
- NZ mobile company registers Intikhab Alam as 'Indian' cricket team manager! - Dec 28, 2010
- Reports of rift in Indian team exaggerated: BCCI president - Feb 22, 2012
- Absence of key players in Guwahati ODI disappoints cricket fans - Nov 28, 2010
- Parore expects decent contest between 'well-matched' New Zealand-Pakistan - Dec 18, 2010
- Dhoni relieved after India's first ODI win overseas since June - Feb 08, 2012
- Vettori set to be Black Caps' captain beyond 2011 World Cup - Dec 26, 2010
- Dhoni and Clarke have made politically correct statements (Comment) - Dec 25, 2011
- ECB signs seven-year deal with ESPN Star - Jun 04, 2012
- Amarnath confident of India victory at Wankhede (Interview) - Apr 01, 2011
- Rest required for Dhoni before Australia tour: Sourav - Oct 07, 2011
- Kiwis must halt embarrassing slide in one-day cricket: Richardson - Dec 13, 2010
- Clarke, Dhoni feel there won't be a Monkeygate thanks to IPL - Jan 02, 2012
- Not fair to judge Dhoni after two defeats, says Akram - Aug 03, 2011
Tags: auckland harbour, bold blue, bungee jumping in new zealand, cricket board, dressing room, dri fit, forthcoming tour, indian cricket team, international cricket, mahendra singh dhoni, odi, ramp, stress buster, team captain, teammate, tomorrow morning, tourism auckland, twenty20, underdogs, yuvraj singh