New Zealand skipper Taylor sidelined by injuryJuly 2nd, 2012 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
Fort Lauderdale (Florida), July 2 (IANS/CMC) Injury has ruled New Zealand captain Ross Taylor out of the Jamaica leg of the five-match one-day series, starting next Thursday.
Left-arm spinner Ronnie Hira will also miss the remainder of the tour after suffering a dislocated finger in Saturday’s opener, and will return home immediately to recover from the injury, Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) reported.
While Hira was included in the T20 squad only, Taylor skippers the squad in all three formats and his exclusion will be a blow to the tourists.
“Unfortunately, Ross sustained a grade two injury to his left AC joint during the game (Saturday). It was confirmed by the x-ray and MRI scan completed at the hospital,” physiotherapist Paul Close said.
“At this stage the injury looks like it will exclude him from selection for the first part of the ODI series,” Close said.
“Essentially, we want to promote the healing process and gradually introduce him to his skill training and get the strength and stability back around his shoulder.”
Taylor, the side’s leading batsman in all three formats, landed badly on his left shoulder attempting to take a catch off Kieron Pollard late in the West Indies innings.
He returned to bat but retired hurt after facing 11 deliveries, as New Zealand slipped to a 56-run defeat.
Hira, meanwhile, sustained his injury while attempting to take a return catch off a thunderous straight-drive by opener Chris Gayle. He immediately left the field to seek medical attention and took no further part in the game.
- Gayle, Pollard shine as Windies break winless slide - Jul 01, 2012
- Pollard shrugs off favourites tag - Sep 06, 2012
- West Indies bring back Darren Bravo for T20 World Cup - Aug 23, 2012
- Best, Russell called up for Jamaica ODIs - Jul 02, 2012
- Windies overcome Taylor century, win series - Jul 15, 2012
- Struggling Windies seek success against Black Caps (Preview) - Jun 30, 2012
- We must look to repeat performance: Gayle - Jul 01, 2012
- Narine undermines New Zealand as Windies win series 4-1 - Jul 17, 2012
- West Indies eye series win against Black Caps - Jul 05, 2012
- West Indies retain squad for third ODI - Jul 09, 2012
- Barath returns to Windies squad for final ODIs - Mar 22, 2012
- Windies sweating on Bravo, Russell for second ODI - Jun 18, 2012
- Windies begin final preparations for World T20 - Sep 01, 2012
- Injured Darren Bravo out of tour, returning home - Jun 19, 2012
- NZC focus on workload as teams picked for Windies series - May 04, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,