New Zealand honours its Olympic championJune 1st, 2009 - 4:32 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, June 1 (DPA) Veteran Olympic champion John Walker, 56, and an eccentric known as the Wizard of New Zealand were recognised in the country’s Queen’s Birthday honours list released Monday.
The Olympian, who won the 1,500 metres at the Montreal games in 1976, will also become the country’s first knight honoured since the conservative government elected in November restored traditional titles nine years after they were abolished.
Self-confessed oddball Ian Brackenbury Channell, 76, also known as the Wizard of New Zealand, was awarded a Queen’s Service Medal for services to the community.
The services included casting spells for his province’s rugby team, performing rain dances and entertaining visitors to the South Island city of Christchurch with elaborate orations in the main square, where he has become a one-man tourist attraction.
Britain’s Queen Elizabeth remains formal head of state of New Zealand, a former British colony, and honours are awarded twice a year - on her official birthday in June and Jan 1.
- Former New Zealand Cricket chief Doig dies at 62 - Oct 13, 2011
- Vettori bestowed with Queen's honour - Jul 30, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth's granddaughter makes Olympic debut - Jul 29, 2012
- Russia wants to be rugby superpower - May 13, 2012
- Team must go for CWG: New Zealand sporting greats - Sep 19, 2010
- New Zealand sees record attendance for Rugby World Cup - Oct 03, 2011
- Fleming, Vettori bestowed with highest civil honours - Jun 06, 2011
- New Zealand PM Key nervous to face Warne - Mar 09, 2011
- Javelin champion feted with millions of dollars gifts - Aug 14, 2012
- Major quake devastates New Zealand's Christchurch, at least 65 dead - Feb 22, 2011
- Lord of the Rings' director Peter Jackson knighted - Jan 02, 2010
- 5.1 earthquake near New Zealand's Christchurch city - Jul 22, 2011
- Quake rocks New Zealand - Dec 23, 2011
- Record number of free condoms for Olympians (Olympic diary) - Aug 02, 2012
- Warne signs up for Christchurch earthquake fund-raiser - Mar 04, 2011
Tags: birthday honours list, casting spells, champion john, christchurch, conservative government, dpa, first knight, head of state, john walker, main square, montreal games, nine years, oddball, olympic champion, orations, queen elizabeth, rain dances, rugby team, tourist attraction, traditional titles