New Zealand gearing up to put pressure on IndiaAugust 19th, 2012 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 19 (IANS) New Zealand will look to put India under pressure when the two teams clash here for the first cricket test beginning Wednesday.
Despite the series loss in the West Indies this month, captain Ross Taylor and new coach Mike Hesson hope their team would bounce back and try to pressurize the hosts.
“It is a great opportunity to start afresh. There are a few changes in the side as well. We look forward to change and will try to put India under pressure,” said Hesson on his first assignment as coach.
“We know we have lot of work to do over the next two-three days to make sure we are prepared. We certainly would like to have some plans in place. We would like to be positive in the way we play,” he said.
Ross Taylor said his side was looking forward to the challenge.
“Good turn-around from the West Indies. We did not play as well as we would have liked. India is a familiar place for our batsmen. We have played well here and we are looking forward to it.”
Taylor said while his team would feel the absence of experienced spinner and former captain Daniel Vettori he hoped players like Jeetan Patel would chip in with their contribution.
On the retirement of Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman, he said they can’t be replaced.
“They are two greats of the Indian game. We had plans for them three months ago but no need to have these plans any more.”
Taylor said his failure to score runs in recent matches was disappointing but hoped that he would get back his touch in the Hyderabad test. He did not agree that his captaincy affected his batting performance and pointed out that the batting average remained higher.
On changes in the batting line-up, he said Brendon McCullum would open with Martin Guptil. He hoped that McCullum would continue his good form.
- Kiwis' confidence up in absence of Dravid, Laxman - Aug 22, 2012
- Ashwin hopes India continues winning performance - Aug 26, 2012
- Ross Taylor appointed New Zealand captain - Jun 21, 2011
- New Zealand face daunting task against Sri Lanka (Preview) - Mar 28, 2011
- India to make fresh start against New Zealand (Preview) - Aug 22, 2012
- Disappointed McCullum backs new skipper Taylor - Jun 22, 2011
- McCullum says Black Caps need to find way to beat Windies - Jul 11, 2012
- Weather again in Yuvraj's way (Preview) - Sep 10, 2012
- We have to forget the defeat and move on: Taylor - Aug 30, 2012
- Yuvraj centre of attraction at Vizag T20 (Preview) - Sep 07, 2012
- West Indies eye series win against Black Caps - Jul 05, 2012
- Black Caps move power hitters down the order for ODI against Pak - Jan 21, 2011
- Styris, Jamie How recalled for ODI series against India - Nov 17, 2010
- Wright reluctant to get into New Zealand captaincy debate - Apr 01, 2011
- India opt to bat against New Zealand - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: batting average, captain daniel, captain ross, clash, coach mike, cricket test, dravid, familiar place, guptil, hosts, india hyderabad, indian game, jeetan patel, mccullum, retirement, ross taylor, spinner, three months, vvs laxman, west indies