New Zealand cricket team postpones Zimbabwe tour

February 25th, 2009 - 12:25 pm ICT by IANS  

Wellington, Feb 25 (DPA) The New Zealand cricket team’s scheduled tour of Zimbabwe in July has been postponed until next year, it was announced here Wednesday.
Justin Vaughan, chief executive of New Zealand Cricket, said he and his Zimbabwe counterpart, Ozias Bvute, had agreed to put off the tour for 11 months after talks during an International Cricket Council meeting in Johannesburg.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key said last week that his government did not want the national team, the Black Caps, to go to Zimbabwe.

“We don’t support that regime,” he said. “We don’t support what’s happening in that country, and we don’t want to give a signal that we do.”

Vaughan told Radio New Zealand that he told the Zimbabweans of the government’s opposition to the tour, and they understood. Postponing the tour “makes good sense”, he said.

Heath Mills, head of the players’ association, welcomed the decision, saying his members had been concerned about going to Zimbabwe.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |