New Zealand confirms Delhi Commonwealth Games participationSeptember 25th, 2010 - 12:16 pm ICT by ANI
Auckland, Sep 25(ANI): The New Zealand Olympic Committee (NZOC) has agreed to continue with plans to send athletes for Delhi Commonwealth Games, which ends mounting speculation that New Zealand could withdraw from the event.
The build up to the October 3-14 Games has been marred by concerns around security, health and incomplete building work, which had delayed the arrival of Kiwi athletes to the Indian capital.
Addressing a conference in Auckland, NZOC President Mike Stanley said: “We plan to have the team in Delhi and we have our first athletes planning to be on the ground in Delhi on September 28.”
“Unless there is some situation we can’t effectively resolve, that’s what we expect to happen. The NZOC board met this afternoon and was briefed on the situation. We gave it a lot of careful consideration,” Stuff.co.nz quoted Stanley, as saying.
“The board has agreed that planning for the team to go to Delhi will continue and that we will monitor the situation ahead of athletes’ arrivals next week. It is now up to the Games’ organisers to provide satisfaction to the implementation of the Games plans,” he added.
He also stressed that the NZOC would continue their ongoing assessment and liaison with the Delhi Commonwealth Games Organizing Committee.
“We are very conscious of our responsibility as a board. Athlete health and safety is our overriding concern,” Stanley said.
“We feel for the athletes at this time. It is a time of uncertainty for them and we thank them for their understanding and their patience in this matter,” he added. (ANI)
- Kiwi Commonwealth Games athletes to delay arrival in New Delhi - Sep 23, 2010
- New Zealand delay Delhi departure by two days - Sep 23, 2010
- OC official surprised at New Zealand's talk of security concern (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- New Zealand still unsure of participating in CWG - Sep 13, 2010
- CWG may be called off: New Zealand chef de mission - Sep 21, 2010
- New Zealand to send 185 athletes to London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Kiwi team claims 'six-figure sum' from Delhi CWG - Jan 23, 2011
- New Zealand Olympic Committee monitoring Bangalore incident - Apr 18, 2010
- Kiwi Olympic body to consider CWG participation after September 12 - Aug 14, 2010
- No point in sending athletes for Commonwealth Games: New Zealand PM - Sep 21, 2010
- New Zealand confirms participation in CWG - Sep 25, 2010
- Kiwi Commonwealth support staff moves into Delhi Games Village - Sep 27, 2010
- I will support athletes who don't attend CWG: New Zealand PM - Sep 22, 2010
- New Zealand, Australia happy with Games Village - Sep 24, 2010
- CWG preparation: Indians in New Zealand appalled - Sep 22, 2010
Tags: athlete, careful consideration, commonwealth games, health and safety, implementation, kiwi, liaison, mike stanley, new zealand olympic committee, organizing committee, participation, patience, president mike, satisfaction, speculation, uncertainty