New Zealand announce squad for ODI seriesNovember 18th, 2010 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 18 (IANS) All-rounder Scott Styris and batsman Jamie How returned to the New Zealand One-day squad for the five-match series against India, starting Nov 28.
How, who played his last game in January 2009, returned to the senior side after nearly two years. The selectors picked him after his good display in the last Champions League Twenty 20 with his Central Districts side as well as in the tour of Zimbabwe with New Zealand A.
All-rounder Styris, who missed the tour of Bangladesh due to a back injury, found his place back in the 15-member squad.
Batsman Martin Guptill, who was left out for the Bangladesh series, also made a comeback.
New Zealand lost all their four matches against Bangladesh.
Fast bowler Hamish Bennett, who was injured in the first Test against India, and Canterbury batsman Shanan Stewart, who had a miserable series against Bangladesh, were left out.
“We welcome back Scott Styris from injury while Hamish Bennett and Shanan Stewart were unavailable for selection due to injury,” said New Zealand selector Mark Greatbatch.
“We have kept faith with the bulk of the squad who played in the disappointing tour of Bangladesh and who have performed well in the current Test series against India.
About How, Greatbatch said: “We feel One-day cricket is the format for him to return to international cricket.”
“A couple of players, Martin Guptill and Gareth Hopkins, who were part of the New Zealand A team who recently toured Zimbabwe will stay on. Martin has shown good form with the bat and Gareth will provide wicket-keeping cover for Brendon McCullum.
“Unfortunately, this means BJ Watling misses out on selection and I’m sure he will look to score plenty of runs for the Northern Knights and press for selection in the future,” said Greatbatch who lashed out at the team after their drubbing against Bangladesh.
“This 15-man squad is really looking forward to playing positive cricket in what promises to be an exciting one-day series.”
Daniel Vettori (captain), Grant Elliott, Martin Guptill, Gareth Hopkins, Jamie How, Brendon McCullum, Nathan McCullum, Andy McKay, Kyle Mills, Jesse Ryder, Tim Southee, Scott Styris, Ross Taylor, Daryl Tuffey, Kane Williamson.
- Styris, Jamie How recalled for ODI series against India - Nov 17, 2010
- New Zealand include seven rookies among World Cup probables - Dec 22, 2010
- Black Caps pick uncapped Woodcock in World Cup squad - Jan 19, 2011
- Vettori, McCullum, Ryder back in Kiwi squad for Bangladesh tour - Sep 13, 2010
- New Zealand names two uncapped players for India Tests - Oct 24, 2010
- New Zealand announces two new Test caps for India tour - Oct 24, 2010
- James Franklin left out of New Zealand Cricket contract - Jul 01, 2011
- Taylor named New Zealand captain for Sri Lanka tri-series - Jun 27, 2010
- India opt to bowl against New Zealand in third ODI - Dec 04, 2010
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against New Zealand - Mar 18, 2011
- Can unpredictable New Zealand spring a surprise? (World Cup Countdown) - Jan 31, 2011
- Kiwi fast bowler Bennett raring to tour Bangladesh - Sep 14, 2010
- Bond recalled for Twenty20s, ODI series against Australia - Feb 20, 2010
- Black Caps boost batting line-up for Napier ODI - Jan 31, 2011
- Ryder named in New Zealand's preliminary squad for T20 World Cup - Mar 06, 2010
Tags: back injury, batsman, drubbing, first test, guptill, hamish, international cricket, last game, man squad, mccullum, member squad, northern knights, odi series, rounder, scott styris, selectors, shanan, test series, watling, wicket