New USPGA champion almost became a bodybuilderAugust 18th, 2009 - 2:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug.18 (ANI): Believe it or not, new USPGA champion Ye Yang was headed towards becoming a bodybuilder before golf caught his fancy.
According to The Sun, South Korean Yang did not pick up a golf club before he was 19 because he grew up dreaming of imitating Arnold Schwarzenegger rather than Arnold Palmer.
Yang, 37, said: “As a kid I was an aspiring bodybuilder and my dream was to own a gym. That was when I was 17 and 18. I went to the gym a lot but I tore the ligaments in my knee and that sort of wrecked that ambition. The dream faded. And then one of my friends introduced me to a small driving range in our town, where we could eat and sleep as well.”
Yang was two shots behind world No 1 Tiger Woods going into the final round but carded a two-under-par 70 to finish on eight under - three ahead of Woods.
“The first grip I ever had was a baseball grip and I was just whacking it. It was just fun and that’s how it all started. After I picked up my first club, I was like anybody else in the world - just an average Joe. But as I started to play more, I fell in love with it,” Yang said.Yang celebrated his shock win at Hazeltine by lifting his fully laden golf bag over his head, before doing the same thing with the Wanamaker Trophy - golf’s heaviest at just over 44 pounds. (ANI)
- Tiger loses the plot and roar as Majors elude him - Dec 12, 2009
- Unheard South Korean golfer stuns Woods to win US P. G. A. - Aug 17, 2009
- Magical Mcllroy wins Hong Kong Open golf - Dec 04, 2011
- Korean star Choi envisions bright future for Asian golf - Oct 13, 2011
- Tiger Woods to play at next year's Dubai Desert Classic - Aug 01, 2010
- Chowrasia to lead Indian Challenge in Barclays Singapore Open - Nov 05, 2011
- Atwal tied 52nd, Molinari leads in WGC-HSBC - Nov 04, 2010
- Woods first press conference on April 5 after extra-marital affairs expose - Mar 25, 2010
- Tough opening round lessons for Atwal at Augusta Masters - Apr 08, 2011
- Tiger Woods crashes to worst performance since 2003 USPGA championship - Aug 09, 2010
- Scottish blind golfer scores first hole-in-one on 'very tricky' green - Sep 08, 2010
- Chinese swimming team get hero's welcome - Aug 07, 2012
- Tiger Woods poised to get Ryder Cup wild card - Aug 17, 2010
- Gangjee tied 5th in Singapore Open golf, Jeev shares 9th place - Nov 10, 2011
- Tiger Woods' return to professional golf 'imminent' - Mar 09, 2010
Tags: ambition, arnold palmer, arnold schwarzenegger, average joe, baseball grip, bodybuilder, champion, driving range, golf bag, golf club, hazeltine, ligaments, shock, sleep, south korean, tiger, tiger woods, two shots, uspga, wanamaker trophy