New skipper Paine feels the pain of England’s mean machineJanuary 11th, 2011 - 1:52 pm ICT by ANI
Canberra (Australia), Jan.11 (ANI): Australia’s reserve wicketkeeper Tim Paine found out on Monday how hard it has been to captain a team against England.Handed the captaincy to give selectors a chance to assess his credentials as a possible Test skipper, Paine performed serviceably but was hamstrung by an innocuous attack and some imperious batting from the visitors, most notably Ian Bell.
Unlike Clarke and Ricky Ponting, who endured lean runs with the bat against England, Paine - not a mainstay of the Test side - at least ensured one half of his job description was fulfilled, hitting a crisp 50 off 59 balls.Paine admitted last night that he still had plenty of improvement ahead of him as a captain.
‘As a keeper you’re always in the game anyway so you’re always under pressure,’ The Age quoted Paine, as saying.
He added: ‘It was just one of those games, an opportunity for me to practice being in charge of a team.’(ANI)
- Waugh sees Haddin, Paine as Oz captaincy options - Dec 27, 2010
- Clarke's form may force CA to look at options for Ponting's successor: Sutherland - Dec 28, 2010
- Ashes humiliation forces Clarke to quit as Australia's T20 captain - Jan 07, 2011
- 'Under fire' Strauss says he doesn't need to prove himself - Aug 26, 2010
- Paine ready to grab opportunity thrown up by Oz big boys' Ashes failure - Jan 10, 2011
- Australia series a different ball game: Gambhir - Dec 12, 2011
- Tough days ahead for Strauss-led England: Vaughan - Dec 11, 2011
- Warne backs Wade as Haddin's successor - Jan 18, 2012
- Gatting urges Ponting to walk away from Oz captaincy to prolong Test career - Dec 10, 2010
- We should support Dhoni and team, says Kapil - Jan 20, 2012
- White appointed captain of Australia's T20 team - Jan 07, 2011
- Axed from Oz 20-20 squad, Haddin fears for career - Jan 11, 2011
- Australia drop Marsh, rest Haddin for ODI tri-series - Jan 30, 2012
- Tiger played with straight bat on and off the field (Obituary) - Sep 22, 2011
- Sehwag realises patience is key against Australian quicks - Jan 23, 2012