New kids in Oz team drive Ponting to cricketing nirvanaMarch 12th, 2009 - 1:03 pm ICT by ANI
Durban, Mar.12 (ANI): Ricky Ponting is as happy as he has ever been in his long and successful cricket life, and he credits the new kids on the block for it.
“This is as happy as I”ve been in my whole career as an Australian player,” Fox Sports quoted Ponting as saying after completing a series triumph against the South Africans in Durban.
“It’’s certainly a unique phase in my career as a captain. To have a number of debutants, and a number of inexperienced guys in the side, it’’s something I haven”t been accustomed to in the majority of my career as a captain. When this transitional phase first started, I always looked at it as being one of the most exciting little phases of my career. It makes it even more exciting when you see guys like Phillip (Hughes) come in and fare well right from the start,” Ponting said. “We played some amazing Test cricket over the last couple of weeks and a level of cricket that everybody outside of our dressing room thought we weren”t capable of,” Ponting said, adding that winning with this team has a different feel. “Being the captain of the side when we were so dominant, Test series and Test matches just seemed to roll into one another. We were winning everything that came along or expected to win everything,” Ponting said.
Cricket’’s most successful captain rates this victory up there with the 2006-07 Ashes and the World Cups.
“I”m not putting it above any of those, but if you look at our group of players that we were bringing away on this tour, there”ll be a lot of people around the world who didn”t think that this was achievable,” Ponting said.
“So for us to have achieved what we have done over this week would make this win as special as any that I”ve been a part of. That no one thought we could beat the South Africans makes the achievement even more special for me,” he added. (ANI)
- 'I want to leave a great legacy for Australian cricket,' says Ponting - Nov 23, 2010
- Ponting quits as captain, wants Clarke to succeed him - Mar 29, 2011
- Ponting cites captaincy record, refusing to quit - Dec 30, 2010
- Jaded Ponting cannot be rested, says Arthur - Feb 18, 2012
- Stigma of lossing three Ashes series will remain for life: Ponting - Mar 30, 2011
- Not worried with Zaheer's comments: Ponting - Jan 11, 2012
- Ponting wants to carry on even after India series - Dec 28, 2011
- Clarke will also turn out to be champion leader: Rixon - Aug 20, 2011
- Ponting quashes talk about his retirement, vows to play after WC - Mar 23, 2011
- Clarke says Ponting's ODI career may not be over (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- "I'm not going to be the new Ricky Ponting", says new Australian captain Clarke - Mar 30, 2011
- Ponting retires from ODIs, vows to carry on in Tests (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Ponting wary of Windies threat - Apr 03, 2012
- Hauritz hits back at critics, vows to deliver - Oct 09, 2010
- Ponting will be remembered as one of Australia's great captains: Mark Waugh - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: debutants, dressing room, fox sports, kids on the block, new kids on the block, nirvana, ricky, ricky ponting, south africans, test cricket, test matches, test series, transitional phase, triumph, victory, world cups