Never had plans to attend opening ceremony: KalmadiJuly 25th, 2012 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 25 (IANS) Indian Olympic Association’s (IOA) disgraced president Suresh Kalmadi said Wednesday that he had no intentions of attending the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Games slated for July 27.
The Delhi High Court allowed Kalmadi, sacked Commonwealth Games Organising Committee, to visit Britain but restrained him from attending the July 27 opening ceremony of the London Olympics 2012. Kalmadi is out on bail in a corruption case linked to the 2010 Commonwealth Games here.
Kalmadi said he had sought permission from the court to attend the council meeting of the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) in London in his capacity as the president of the Asian Athletics Association (AAA).
“I was never planning to attend the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics and I never sought this permission in any case,” Kalmadi said in a statement.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw said: “We are not allowing him to attend the opening ceremony.”
The court directed Kalmadi not to leave the country before July 27, the day when the Olympics opening ceremony would be held in London.
Advocate Rahul Mehra filed a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking direction to restrain Kalmadi from visiting London. He has said Kalmadi was going to attend the Games at public expense and in violation of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) code of ethics.
Kalmadi told the court that he was leaving for London in his individual capacity and not in his official capacity as the IOA president.
- Court allows Kalmadi's London visit (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Court allows Kalmadi's London visit (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Court to decide Wednesday on Kalmadi's London visit (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Kalmadi eyes London trip during Olympics - Jul 12, 2012
- Maken lauds court's decision on Kalmadi - Jul 25, 2012
- Court notice to Kalmadi over London visit (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Kalmadi allowed to visit London for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Court notice to Kalmadi over London visit (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Court to decide Wednesday on Kalmadi's London visit - Jul 24, 2012
- Kalmadi allowed to visit London for Olympics - Jul 13, 2012
- Kalmadi and Malhotra attack Maken, minister retaliates (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2012
- Maken firm on aborting Kalmadi's London trip - Jul 15, 2012
- Sports ministry wants Kalmadi's London visit aborted - Jul 13, 2012
- I Have every right to go to Olympics: Kalmadi - Jul 14, 2012
- High Court asks IOA to follow code in October poll (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, 2012 london olympics, asian athletics, code of ethics, corruption case, delhi high court, division bench, indian olympic association, international olympic committee, ioa president, london games, london olympics 2012, olympics opening ceremony, organising committee, public expense, public interest litigation, rahul mehra, sahai, suresh kalmadi, visiting london