Never called up selector: KatichDecember 18th, 2011 - 12:59 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Dec 18 (IANS) Australia’s veteran opener Simon Katich has not given up his hope of making a comeback to the Test side and denied reports that he had tried to make direct contact with national selector John Inverarity to know if his name was discussed.
“I know my manager (Robert Joske) was quoted as saying we’d been playing phone-tag, but that’s been reported incorrectly,” Katich was quoted as saying by The Herald Sun.
The 36-year-old New South Wales batsman, who has 395 Shield runs at an average of 39.50 including two centuries, is in a good form and it is believed selectors discussed recalling him to the Test XI for the Boxing Day clash with India.
“It’s funny, because four or five years ago I was told that I was never going to get picked again and I got back into the team,” Katich said.
“From that point of view, I don’t give up on anything and that’s why I’m still playing. I love playing. I still love doing all the hard work.
“If they come calling, they come calling and if they don’t, well I’m just enjoying my cricket, wherever that’s going to be. From my point of view, I had a slow start to the season, but once I started to spend some time in the middle, my last few games have probably been my best of the summer. So look, I’m available if they need me,” he said.
The daily reported that the selection panel is unlikely to call on Katich to play at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG). But the fact that his name was mentioned suggests he might yet add to his 56-Test career.
“I certainly haven’t heard anything about being involved in Boxing Day and in my experience, it’s probably more speculation than anything else,” he said. “The quote that I made yesterday was that I have had no contact from John, I haven’t spoken to him. I’m not sure where this other stuff’s come from.”
- Spat with Clarke resulted in my axe, says Katich - Oct 28, 2011
- Clarke not averse to recalling Katich in Australian team - Dec 16, 2011
- Katich calls up Inverarity to check his name - Dec 17, 2011
- Katich seeking legal advice over CA hearing - Nov 01, 2011
- Katich resigns to his fate, says Cowan worthy successor - Dec 26, 2011
- Arthur backs Khawaja to come good in Tests - Dec 17, 2011
- Ponting retires from ODIs, vows to carry on in Tests (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Katich suffers achilles tendon injury, forcing him out of Ashes series - Dec 07, 2010
- Katich slams CA, denies Clarke's hand in sacking - Jun 10, 2011
- Big Bash could affect Test team's preparations: Inverarity - Dec 21, 2011
- Katich has no regrets about his comments on Clarke - Dec 06, 2011
- I've been dropped, not rested: Haddin - Jan 31, 2012
- Lawson criticises CA's selection policy - Nov 28, 2011
- Bell thanks India for recalling him in Trent Bridge Test - Oct 19, 2011
- Retain me for Adelaide Test: Harris pleads with team management - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: batsman, boxing day, centuries, clash, direct contact, herald sun, john i, mcg, melbourne cricket ground, new south wales, phone tag, point of view, selection panel, selectors, simon katich, speculation, sydney, test career, test side, veteran