Never advised steroids for athletes, I’m being set-up: Ukraine coachJuly 5th, 2011 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 5 (IANS) Sacked Ukrainian coach Yuri Ogorobonik, who trained India’s quarter-milers caught in doping, Tuesday claimed innocence and said that he was being set-up.
The Ukrainian said that he is a professional and never suggested athletes that they take steroids.
“The first thing I want to say is that I have given the athletes only food supplements. I am working here for 12 years. I have never given anabolic steroids. I have been set-up. I can’t believe this all has happened,” he told a television channel.
“Every player has their food supplement plan. I have prohibited this steroid 20 years ago. It is a bad anabolic. It’s dirty trick played by someone. I am not stupid to advise these substances to athletes. I am a professional. I called the doctors in Ukraine to find out and there is nothing in the supplements. I am not aware of who is responsibe for the set-up,” the coach added.
Sports Minister Ajay Maken announced the sacking of the coach Tuesday.
Six of the eight Indian athletes who tested positive for banned substance methandienone are 400m runners. Three of them were part of the women’s 4×400m relay team that won gold in the CWG and Asian Games last year.
- I've been set-up in doping scandal: Ogorodnik - Jul 08, 2011
- Ukraine coach blames contaminated food supplements for doping mess (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- Doping mess: Coach sacked; government, IOA in blamegame (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- I am innocent, says Ashwini Akkunji - Jul 07, 2011
- I'm innocent, want to leave India: Ukrainian coach (Roundup) - Jul 08, 2011
- Mandeep blames federation for not providing team doctor - Jul 01, 2011
- SAI cracks the whip on coaches at NIS Patiala (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2011
- Five athletes flunk dope tests - Jun 30, 2011
- Foreign athletics coach sacked, doping scandal to be probed - Jul 05, 2011
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- Dope tainted runners Mandeep and Juana's hearing adjourned - Jul 15, 2011
- Doping scandal: Ukrainian coach sacked, minister orders probe (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Five fresh doping cases in athletics, IOA orders probe (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Indian runners Mandeep and Murmu suspended after failed dope test - Jun 29, 2011
- Whistle-blower doctor assaulted at NIS-Patiala - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: ajay maken, asian games, coach, dirty trick, doctors, food supplement, food supplements, India, indian athletes, innocence, methandienone, New Delhi, relay team, runners, steroids, supplement plan, television channel, ukraine, ukrainian, yuri