Netherlands make winning start against Danes (Lead)June 14th, 2010 - 8:57 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, June 14 (DPA) The Netherlands Monday kicked-off their World Cup football campaign in Group E with a victory over Denmark but they needed help from some calamitous Danish defending.
A comedy own goal gifted the Dutch the lead in the 46th minute when Simon Poulsen headed a clearance against his own defensive team-mate Daniel Agger and past Thomas Sorensen.
Bert Van Marwijks Dutch side came into tournament on a record unbeaten run of 19 games and named a strong side with only Arjen Robben missing and with captain Giovanni van Bronckhorst earning his 100th cap.
Against a Dutch side who had not lost their opening match at a finals since 1938 Danish boss Morten Olsen erred on the side of caution naming Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner as a lone striker.
The Dutch threatened first when on six minutes Wesley Sneijder tried his luck from distance with a free-kick that did not trouble Thomas Sorensen in the Danish goal.
Thomas Enevoldsen then sent a long-range free-kick wide for the Danes before Sneijder set up Dirk Kuyt whose shot moved in the air leaving Sorensen scrambling to grab it at the second attempt.
In the 20th minute there was an early flash of some Dutch magic when after a slick passing move Robin van Persie released Rafael Van der Vaart who shot wide.
The Real Madrid man went close again moments later but in the 27th minute Denmark had their first chance with Dennis Rommedahl crossing from the right only for Bendtner to get his header all wrong and steer the chance wide.
Rommedahl found space down the right again in the 35th minute and this time elected to shoot forcing Maarten Stekelenburg to make his first real save of the game.
In the 37th minute Bendtner spun his marker and sent Thomas Kahlenberg through. The Wolfsburg midfielder’s shot was palmed away for a corner by the increasingly busy Stekelenburg.
Van Persie had his first chance on 43 minutes when he wriggled away from Daniel Agger but could only send his shot wide. The Netherlands were no longer dominating and they finished the half with Nigel de Jong going into the referee’s book for a wild challenge on Bendtner.
But the Dutch were given a huge helping hand just one minute into the second half when a Danish own goal put them one up. A long ball out of defence found Van Persie and his cross was headed by Poulsen into his own defensive team-mate Agger and past Sorensen.
It should have been two moments later when Kuyt released Van Persie but he dallied too long on the ball and Sorensen made the save.
The Stoke City keeper made another fine stop moments later from a Van der Vaart effort as the Netherlands continued to dominate against a Danish side who took off Bendtner in the 62nd minute.
Sorensen kept the Danes at bay again turning a Van Bommel shot away for a corner from which Van Persie headed wide. He joined Bendtner on the sidelines when he was replaced by Ibrahim Afellay in the 79th minute.
There was no let-up in Dutch pressure and Sneijder, who was later named Man of the Match, shook the cross-bar with a shot from distance before Kuyt added a second five minutes from time.
He scored from a rebound after Eljero Elia hit the post. And only a fantastic goal-line clearance from Christian Poulsen prevented a third.
Later Monday Japan were due to face Cameroon in Bloemfontein in the second match in Group E.
- Euro 2012: Germany down Dutch 2-1 on Gomez double - Jun 14, 2012
- Netherlands defeat Slovakia in Rotterdam friendly - May 31, 2012
- Netherlands make winning start against Danes - Jun 14, 2010
- Netherlands crush Northern Ireland 6-0 - Jun 03, 2012
- Dutch have no worries upfront, but defence vulnerable - Jun 02, 2012
- Sneijder's sizzler helps Dutch beat Japan to top Group E - Jun 19, 2010
- Danish victory over Cameroon puts Dutch through (Lead) - Jun 20, 2010
- Japan beat Denmark to advance with Netherlands (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2010
- Italy start title defence with a draw; Dutch, Japan win (Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 15, 2010
- Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comeback - Nov 04, 2011
- Van Persie scores as Dutch win (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2010
- Van Persie scores as Dutch win and top Group F (Lead) - Jun 25, 2010
- Bulgaria stun the Netherlands with win in Amsterdam friendly - May 27, 2012
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- Dutch reach World Cup final after 3-2 defeat of Uruguay - Jul 07, 2010
Tags: arjen robben, bert van, daniel agger, dennis rommedahl, dirk kuyt, dutch side, football campaign, giovanni van bronckhorst, madrid man, morten olsen, rafael van der vaart, real madrid, robin van persie, space down, team mate, thomas kahlenberg, thomas sorensen, van der vaart, wesley sneijder, world cup football