Netherlands crush Northern Ireland 6-0June 3rd, 2012 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
Amsterdam, June 3 (IANS) The Netherlands, runners-up in the 2010 football World Cup, staked claim for the European Championships by thrashing Northern Ireland 6-0 in their last warm-up game here.
The most discussed topic in the Netherlands in the build-up was the choice of the central striker. Coach Bert van Marwijk had the luxury of having to choose between English Premier League top scorer Robin van Persie and Bundesliga top scorer Klaas Jan Huntelaar.
Van Persie got the nod and didn’t disappoint scoring a brace Saturday, reported Xinhua.
Northern Ireland gave no resistance and as a result the Dutch team made merry on the night. The one-way traffic towards the Northern-Irish goal resulted in four goals in the first half. Van Persie headed in the first goal and Sneijder scored from a free-kick within the first fifteen minutes.
After a handball by Shane Ferguson van Persie converted a penalty and Afellay produced the fourth after a Van Persie assist. After half-time the latter also provided the assist for Afellay’ s second goal.
With Rafael van der Vaart, Dirk Kuyt and Huntelaar as substitutes the Netherlands looked for more goals. Van der Vaart was close, but he hit the post.
The Netherlands start their Euro 2012 against Denmark June 9, before taking on Germany and Portugal.
- Dutch have no worries upfront, but defence vulnerable - Jun 02, 2012
- Netherlands defeat Slovakia in Rotterdam friendly - May 31, 2012
- Bulgaria stun the Netherlands with win in Amsterdam friendly - May 27, 2012
- Euro 2012: Last chance to change for Dutch team - Jun 16, 2012
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- Dutch seek inspiration from 1988 Euro win - Jun 10, 2012
- Van Marwijk drops Maduro, Emanuelson in Dutch Euro 2012 squad - May 16, 2012
- Van Marwijk includes uncapped Willems, Narsingh in Euro 2012 squad - May 27, 2012
- Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comeback - Nov 04, 2011
- Uncapped Narsingh and John in Dutch squad against England - Feb 24, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany down Dutch 2-1 on Gomez double - Jun 14, 2012
- Gullit tips Germany to win Euro 2012 - Jun 07, 2012
- Van Persie scores as Dutch win (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2010
- Van Persie scores as Dutch win and top Group F (Lead) - Jun 25, 2010
- Netherlands open World Cup campaign with win - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: bert van marwijk, dirk kuyt, dutch team, english premier league, euro 2012, fifteen minutes, football world cup, free kick, handball, june 3, nod, northern ireland, rafael van der vaart, robin van persie, runners, shane ferguson, striker, top scorer, van der vaart, xinhua