Nepali runner wins world’s highest marathon raceMay 29th, 2012 - 5:30 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmanu, May 29 (IANS) Nepali runner Phurbu Tamang regained the title in the world’s highest “Qomolangma Marathon” race Tuesday at the foothills of Mount Qomolangma — the Tibetan name for the world’s highest peak Mount Everest.
Tamang won the men’s open category in three hours, 48 minutes and 41 seconds. Tamang also won here in 2009 and 2010, Xinhua reported.
Kumar Rajbhandari finished second in 3:54:51, while last year’s winner Sudip Kulung Rai came third.
The race set off from near the famous Khumbu Ice Fall at Qomolangma Base Camp (5,364 metres above sea level) and the finish was at Namche Bazar (3,440 metres).
The Guinness Book of World Records lists the race the highest altitude marathon that makes it more adventurous and one of the toughest races in the world.
This is the 10th edition of Tenzing-Hillary Marathon which commemorates the first successful ascent of 8,848-metre-high Mount Qomolangma by Nepal’s Tenzing Norgay Sherpa and New Zealand’s Edmund Hillary, May 29, 1953.
A total of 93 foreigners and 62 Nepali runners took part in this year’s race.
- Tenzing Hillary Everest Marathon-2010 winner declared - May 29, 2010
- Indian Army women's team to again attempt Mt. Everest (Lead, superseding prervious story) - Mar 12, 2012
- IAF team to scale Mount Everest - Apr 13, 2011
- (VM) Indian Army women's team to scale Mount Everest - Mar 12, 2012
- Everest to be Edmund Hillary's last resting place - Apr 01, 2010
- Mamata Banerjee gets towering gifts - from the Himalayas - May 21, 2011
- Assam mountaineer set to scale Mount Everest - Mar 23, 2012
- Nepal moves to measure its biggest revenue earner - Mt Everest - Jul 19, 2011
- Indians among top Everest conquerors - Jul 15, 2011
- Nepal Army to use helicopter to rescue stranded tourists - Nov 06, 2011
- Everest's biggest mystery solved - Aug 09, 2010
- Mexico City marathon attracts 18,000 runners - Aug 22, 2012
- Everest Connected Via 3G - Nov 01, 2010
- Mt Everest! That's the height of British colonialism (With Image) - Jun 14, 2011
- New Zealand's highest peak may be named after Everest conqueror Edmund Hillary - Aug 05, 2010
Tags: altitude, ascent, book of world records, edmund hillary, foreigners, guinness book of world, guinness book of world records, khumbu ice fall, marathon race, mount everest, mount qomolangma, nepal, open category, rai, runners, sea level, sudip, tenzing norgay sherpa, tibetan name, xinhua