Neil Maxwell man behind securing Indian funding for Oz IPL-style T20 tournamentOctober 29th, 2010 - 2:31 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Oct 29(ANI): Former New South Wales all-rounder Neil Maxwell has emerged as the mastermind behind Australia’s version of a Indian Premier League (IPL)-style Twenty20 tournament.
According to Fox Sports, Maxwell has been secretly working on the tournament for the past 18 months, and is the man responsible for securing over 60 million dollars in corporate support from Indian investors.
The 43-year-old’s involvement in the tournament scheduled for 2012 began in early 2009, when he held talks with New South Wales and Victorian cricket administrators.
He has since been to India ‘half a dozen times’ to pursue rich Indian investors to buy shares in shares in Twenty20 franchises of NSW and Victoria.
When asked about his contribution in the tournament, Maxwell said: “Cricket Australia is currently in discussions about the concept and the future of the game, and it’s up to the board to decide what happens next.”
Maxwell is also the agent of Australian players including Michael Hussey, Brett Lee and Marcus North.
The tournament will have eight teams playing each other twice before a finals series.
NSW and Victoria will have two teams, and the other states one each. (ANI)
- Maxwell gets Australian team call-up - Jul 16, 2012
- IPL muscles flexing leaves White open to disclosing Victorian mates drawbacks - Aug 12, 2010
- India's Oz Twenty20 investment plans bigger than 'Kerry Packer moment': CA - Oct 28, 2010
- Oz IPL-style T20 teams' 30 million dollars price tag - Oct 30, 2010
- New Zealand to promote cricket in United States - Dec 19, 2010
- Maxwell, Bodi join Daredevils as replacements for Ingram, Birt - Mar 19, 2012
- Australia needs to 'learn how to milk Indian cricket cash cow', not fight it: Craddock - Oct 28, 2010
- Lee, Hodge named in Oz 30-man 2011 World Cup squad - Dec 17, 2010
- Don't kill off T20 golden goose, says Oz players' body chief - Oct 31, 2010
- CA drops David Hussey, Bracken and Clark from contracted players list - Apr 07, 2010
- Final squads of 11 teams for Champions League named - Aug 22, 2011
- Australia looking for multi-dimensional cricketers - Oct 03, 2009
- Lee named in Australian Twenty20 World Cup squad - Mar 30, 2010
- Katich stripped of New South Wales captaincy - Oct 12, 2011
- Bishoo to replace injured Bravo in West Indies team - Mar 01, 2011
Tags: 60 million, brett lee, cricket australia, fox sports, franchises, game, half a dozen, India, indian investors, ipl, mastermind, maxwell, michael hussey, million dollars, new south wales, premier league, rounder, sydney, victoria