Neelam Katara expresses satisfaction with judgementMay 28th, 2008 - 1:55 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 28 (ANI) :Neelam Katara, the mother of murderd Nitish Katara, today expressed satisfaction over a court verdict convicting Vikas Yadav, the son of Uttar Pradesh politician D P Yadav, and his cousin Vishal Yadav in connection with the crime.
“I’m very happy with the verdict and I am confident that justice will prevail,” she said.
I know this is not the end yet and there are many more battles to be fought but this is a huge milestone, she said minutes after the court verdict .
I ask my countrymen to be with me, and together we will take it together till the end.
Neelam has been campaigning to get justice for her son after he was murdered in February 2002.
Vikas and Vishal on Wedneseday were found guilty of murdering Nitish Katara by Patiala house court
The court is likely to pronounce quantum of sentence, which may range from life term to death penalty on May 30.
Vikas and Vishal had allegedly abducted Katara, the son of an IAS officer, from a marriage party in Ghaziabad on the intervening night of February 16-17, 2002.
The victim’s body was later recovered from a village in Uttar Pradesh’s Bulandshahr District.
According to the prosecution, Katara, a business executive, was killed by the two accused, as they did not approve of their sister Bharti Yadav’s growing proximity with him.
Earlier, the prosecution had produced evidence of Ajay Katara having seen the accused taking Nitish to their car on the fateful night near Hapur Chungi in Ghaziabad. The accused contended that the chain of events in the case remained incomplete as none of the prosecution witnesses had either supported the abduction or identified the main accused.
Ajay Katara’s testimony was also challenged on the premise that the police recorded his statement over 20 days after the crime. (ANI)
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Third accused held guilty - Jul 06, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict - Jul 17, 2012
- Vikas Yadav wants four days leave from jail - Nov 09, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Verdict on third accused Wednesday - Jul 05, 2011
- Katara murder case: Delhi HC allows Vikas to attend brother's wedding - Apr 26, 2011
- Sukhdev Pehalwan gets life term for Nitish Katara murder (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records - Feb 01, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Arguments on punishment July 12 - Jul 07, 2011
- Vikas Yadav gets one day's leave from jail (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- Death term sought for Katara murder convict - Jan 20, 2012
- Death term sought for Katara murder convict (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Give death to Nitish Katara killers, police tell court - Aug 28, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Court orders medical inspection of Nitish Katara killers - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: abducted, abduction, business executive, countrymen, court verdict, d p yadav, death penalty, fateful night, ghaziabad, judgement, katara, marriage party, milestone, New Delhi, nitish, patiala house court, politician, premise, prosecution witnesses, vikas yadav