Need to win in India to be among best ODI sides: SwannSeptember 8th, 2011 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 8 (IANS) Spinner Graeme Swann believes England will have to beat India not only in the ODI series at home but away as well if they wish to be counted among the best international nations in the shorter format.
Engkland are ranked fifth in the ODIs. The hosts lead the Natwest series 1-0 and will be looking to stretch the lead in Friday’s third game at The Oval.
Swann said England will need to win in the return series in India next month.
“Our official ranking is five and I don’t think we can argue with that,” Swann was quoted as saying in Sky Sports News. “We have shown some improvement recently but we have to continue that if we want to be one of the best teams. We have to beat teams like India, not just in this series, but when we go away to play them as well.”
Swann believes One-day captain Alastair Cook has proved his critics wrong after his match-winning innings at the Rose Bowl Tuesday.
“He’s just letting his bat do the talking,” Swann said. “It is very good for Cooky. He works very hard on his game, no one works harder on his game although Kevin Pietersen might tell you differently. It is brilliant that it is paying off for him. He was written off - he’s even hitting sixes these days. So you never know, hell might freeze over.”
- Changing weather can dictate course of second ODI at Kotla - Oct 16, 2011
- Series will be a massive challenge, says Cook - Oct 13, 2011
- We haven't played well in the last two ODIs: Cook - Sep 15, 2011
- India look for revenge as they take on confident England (Preview) - Oct 13, 2011
- Relentless India poised to extend domination over England to T20 (Preview) - Oct 28, 2011
- India have good chance of going past England in ODI rankings - Oct 12, 2011
- Swann jumps to fourth in Test rankings - Apr 08, 2012
- England rest Pietersen for one-day series against India - Aug 27, 2011
- England announce unchanged squad for Oval Test - Aug 14, 2011
- Smouldering Cook is England's Toy wonder: Swann - Dec 01, 2010
- Uncapped Bairstow included in England Test squad - May 13, 2012
- England elect to bat in third ODI against India - Oct 20, 2011
- Collingwood, Prior dropped from England squad - Jun 21, 2011
- Dravid rises in ICC rankings, Tendulkar drops to 4th - Jul 26, 2011
- Ashes: Swann questions Doherty's call up for Australia - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,