Need to play regularly against top teams: NobbsJune 5th, 2012 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 5 (IANS) India hockey coach Michael Nobbs was happy with the team’s bronze-medal finish in the Azlan Shah Cup ahead of the Olympics but said that the eight-time Olympic champions can only improve by playing against tough teams regularly.
“We need to play more matches against tougher teams,” said Nobbs late Monday night after the team arrived here at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International airport.
The Australian said it was time for India to play regularly against top teams like Germany, the Netherlands and Australia.
“I would like to play against Germany, Holland and Australia more. If you want to be the best team at some point of time, you need to play against the best teams. You only learn by losing occasionally,” said Nobbs.
Nobbs admitted that picking the final squad for the Olympics would indeed be a tough task for him.
“It’s going to be really tough. It would be one of the toughest things in my life. Everyone wants to be in the team for London Olympics but we can chose only 16,” Nobbs said
“The next few weeks at the camp will be crucial. We really need to work on our attack. Even against Argentina, we reached the circle so many times but we just blew the opportunities.
“We’ve got to get better. When you play top teams, you have to learn a little bit of change in style. If you don’t hit the ball then you are not going to win,” he said.
- Players' obsession is only to win: Hockey coach Michael Nobbs - Jun 17, 2012
- Nobbs looks at positives from dismal Euro tour - Jul 21, 2012
- Nobbs vows to carry on as India's hockey coach - Aug 14, 2012
- Selecting team for Olympic qualifiers will be tough: Nobbs - Jan 22, 2012
- We have to be the best in the world: Nobbs - Feb 25, 2012
- Nobbs focussed on allround development of Indian hockey - Jun 30, 2011
- Where do we go from here, asks Nobbs - Aug 06, 2012
- Hockey squad picked on performance not reputation: Nobbs - Jan 31, 2012
- Azlan Shah: India bounce back to beat South Korea 2-1 - May 25, 2012
- New hockey coach Nobbs to focus on game's development (Round up) - Jun 30, 2011
- Hockey camp to focus on fitness, strength: Nobbs - Mar 12, 2012
- Olympic Hockey: Tough opener for India (Preview) - Jul 29, 2012
- Never blamed Nobbs for London debacle: Shivendra - Aug 24, 2012
- Olympic hockey: India to play only for pride against Korea (Preview) - Aug 04, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India gear up for New Zealand - May 23, 2012
Tags: argentina, australia, azlan shah cup, bronze medal, chhatrapati shivaji international airport, germany, hockey coach, holland, India, little bit, london olympics, monday night, mumbai, netherlands, olympic champions, olympics