NCAA Rules Kentucky Freshman Enes Kanter Permanently IneligibleNovember 12th, 2010 - 7:27 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Nov 12, (THAINDIAN NEWS) University of Kentucky freshman Enes Kanter who was considered to be one of the top prospects of the 2011 NBA Draft, has been ruled ineligible by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The news was announced by the NCAA on Thursday in a statement that was posted in the official website of the association which read that the Kentucky freshman center is permanently ineligible.
NCAA’s decision to rule Enes Kanter as ineligible has come as a rude shock to the University of Kentucky as the school’s chances to make it big at the NCAA basketball tournament has suffered a major setback with the freshman’s omission from the team. The main reason which propelled NCAA to reach the decision has been cited to be the fact that Enes Kanter received payment to the tune of $33,033 in addition to his expenses from his club when he played in the professional league in Turkey before his arrival to the United States. While talking about the player, Kevin Lennon who is the vice-president of the academic and membership affairs of NCAA, reiterated that by receiving payments beyond the actual expenses is not quite compatible with the model of sports that NCAA members follow and so it was decided that Enes Kanter should be ruled ineligible.
In the meanwhile, it has also come to light that the University of Kentucky would be appealing against NCAA’s decision and the appeal is expected to be heard by the end of this month. According to rules and regulations of NCAA, Enes Kanter would not be able ti return to practice while the appeal is heard.
- Doron Lamb Decides To Join University Of Kentucky - Apr 18, 2010
- Kutcher, Moore in sports row - Nov 02, 2010
- Kansas Freshman Josh Selby All Set To Make His Debut Against Southern California - Nov 20, 2010
- Ohio State Quarterback Terrelle Pryor Suspended Along With Four Others - Dec 24, 2010
- Kye Allums To Become First Transgender Athlete To Play Basketball In NCAA - Nov 04, 2010
- Terrence Jones Opts For Kentucky, Reports Claim - May 20, 2010
- CAS registers appeals of tainted Pak trio against ICC tribunal ban on fixing charges - Mar 02, 2011
- Cam Newton Braving Pay For Play Speculations - Nov 14, 2010
- Tennis Nationals: Mayneni outplays Kanan - Oct 10, 2011
- John Wall Gets Selected The Top Draft Pick, Goes To Wizards - May 19, 2010
- South Carolina Registers Victory Against No.1 Kentucky - Jan 27, 2010
- Make this World Cup the last with leather balls: PETA - Mar 24, 2011
- Terrelle Pryor being investigated by NCAA - Jun 01, 2011
- Kentucky's Energy Efficiency Program to receive more than $9 million funds - Feb 10, 2010
- NBA Talks resume after a long deadlock - Oct 19, 2011
Tags: collegiate athletic association, freshman center, gina gomez, major setback, membership affairs, national collegiate athletic, national collegiate athletic association, nba draft, ncaa, ncaa basketball tournament, ncaa members, ncaa rules, omission, professional league, rude shock, Sports, top prospects, turkey, university of kentucky, vice president